Journaling in sections and with the help of the DetailsWidget Plugin from Telmiger

Hello everyone.

I came back to TiddlyWiki a couple of days ago and wanted to revamp my journaling process. So, I started with a fresh TW5 installation and started journaling. But soon I realized that my tiddlers are getting pretty long. Searching for an answer to this, I came up with the idea of splitting individual topics of the day into separate tiddlers. The solution I came up with is the following:

Step 1

First, I created a filtered list for all tiddlers which have a field containing the title of the parent tiddler.

For Example:
Journal Tiddler 2022-04-20 Wednesday, the all “children” will have a field belongs-to-journal with the value 2022-04-20 Wednesay

In addition, I would like to put the extra entrys in a collapsable view for which I found the DetailsWidget-PLugin from Telmiger (Plugins — Utilities for TiddlyWiki)

The code for this is here, which also includes a link

<$list filter="[tag[JournalEntry]field:belongs-to-journal<currentTiddler>sort[created]]">
  <$details field="title">
    <$transclude mode="block"/>
    //Tiddler Link: <$link><$transclude field="title"/></$link>//
  </$details>
</$list>

And to make thinks easier for me to create a new entry belonging to the current journal entry, I created a button that I can click which inserts all the required information

<$list filter="[all[current]tag[Journal]]">
<$button>
  <$action-sendmessage $message="tm-new-tiddler"
     title=<<now "YYYY-0MM-0DD ChangeMe">>
     tags="JournalEntry"
     text=""
     belongs-to-journal={{!!title}}
  />
  Add JournalEntry to ''<<currentTiddler>>''
  </$button>
</$list>

Step 2

Next thing was, instead of heaving this piece of code in every tiddler, I wanted to add it to all Tiddlers tagged Journal. So, I put the above code into a separate tiddler and tagged it with the tag $:/tags/ViewTemplate. Doing this, will make this tiddler appear on ALL tiddlers automatically.

As specified in the above button and list code, there is already a filter set to make sure, the text does not appear on other tiddlers which are not related to journaling.

Step 3

Make it more elegant? This is my first try, and I am open for tips and tricks to improve it. But for now, it works great.

Here are two screenshots demonstrating on how it looks:

Image 1: showing collapsed tiddlers added to 2022-04-21 Donnerstag

Image two shows an open details widget tiddler from today (friday 21st April 2022)

1 Like

Looks like you and I were working on somewhat similar projects this week. See my sectionlist macro: Section list update 4-21-2022 for a different take.

That looks exciting too, Dave. Thanks for sharing. I will have a look at it, maybe I can improve my version a bit with it. As said, I am new to TiddlyWiki - came back after a long, long time, so I am considering myself a newbie to TW5

@cblte
Well done! Simple and useful!

After you got the feedback, you may like to distribute your solution, so you may pack the required tiddler in a JSON and put in the original post of this thread!

@cblte

I did a little change to your code and create this in Shiraz

To reproduce this [Second Edit: Tiddler link was added]

1. Download journal-viewtemplate.json (855 Bytes)
  2. Drag and drop into Shiraz 2.4.6 — create stylish contents in Tiddlywiki
  3. Create a new tiddler tagged with Journal or press Alt + J
  4. Save
  5. Click on the button Add JournalEntry...

More hacks: Add searchbox to a Journal tiddler to be able to search in all entries of that journal

1. Look at demo/advanced/details-faqs
  2. See how searchbox works
  3. Copy it into your Viewtemplate

Shiraz has bunch of themes so simply use other classes for your details macro like alert-warning. Change this line <$macrocall $name=details label={{!!title}} src={{!!text}} labelClass="alert alert-warning py-1 my-1" srcClass="alert border-warning py-0"/>

NOTE: To use this solution in your own Tiddlywiki, first install Shiraz and then add the above viewtemplate.

Amazing. Thank you for making it robust.

Oh my other reply was just a fast one without really looking at your code. Now that I tried it out, I have to say it is very nice. Shiraz gives a lot more possibilities actually and includes the Details features I am using.Both have their pros and cons, but I like the styling. I might switch to Shiraz.

And this is what I like about TiddlyWiki. You can exchange components and all over the things adapt the new look.