Is there an English input method that can output any English word with n or fewer nonsense characters combined into a complete English word?

This is very helpful for me to record a large number of English tiddlers, which can greatly improve my efficiency of writing English words. If there is such an input method, but I have to memorize many fixed letter combinations, I am willing to do so. The total number of English words is huge, and it is likely that I will not be able to remember so many. But if there were a universal code for English words and I could type any English word very quickly with a simple tap, the temptation to me would be significant

For example:

qwek ==> elephant
wsim ==> watermelon
ohsz ==> obsidian

You don’t say if English is your mother tongue? If not then the things I started looking up in google were…

shorthand - unfortunately it uses squiggly marks rather letters.
stenography / stenographer - fast method for transcribing courtroom proceedings.

After a while searching down these links I found a few links for letter based systems

So “shorthand” and “stenography” don’t yield direct results but they might lead your search to more useful results in google.

This doesn’t solve the problem of how to get Tiddlywiki to recognise one of these short hand forms - if your wish is to get Tiddlywiki to expand out the condensed text then you probably need a custom plugin. I suspect a single pass after you have written the text would be simpler than a live “as you type” expansion simply because it might be obvious to an algorithm what has already be expanded.

2 Likes

In the Chinese input method, there are ordinary Pinyin input method (张, zhang), five pen input method (张, xtay), four corner code input method (张, 1223), double spell input method (张,natural code (vh)).

Therefore, I am thinking that there is no such efficient English input method for inputting English words in English

You provide several English shorthand schemes, but the point is that typing the English shorthand symbols in tiddlers may be a problem, or I may need to abstract the English shorthand symbols again with English letters to represent them in tiddlers, but that again seems to make it harder for the brain to understand them, There is no problem in understanding the program

English spelling is a terrible mess. A Germanic language strongly influenced by French and Latin, borrowing words from Spanish, Italian, many Native American languages, and others, English has few really simple and unambiguous spelling rules.

While it would be fairly easy to write your own such dictionary with a highlight-and-click-to-translate feature, I know of no useful such sources you could start from.

Sorry.

2 Likes
  • Perhaps it is predictive text, where the potential next word is listed below, as we see on mobile devices.
  • Search for “predictive text editor” to see examples. Something like these, eg Grammarly will do this in the browser for all text entry so you do not need to add it to your tiddlywiki.

You have both the blessing and the curse of learning Chinese, it takes more time and effort to learn Chinese, but can be faster to use.

As I understand it, from a Documentary I saw recently (I am looking for the link);

When computers were first made this caused a lot of problems with 128 or 256 characters in the ASCII character set, people were even thinking Chinese language users may just have to learn English to use computers. However as you are aware, new input methods, primarily based on the predictive text idea were developed and enhanced. There is now a strong argument that English is the weaker language to communicate with computers.

The point is English did not have to contend with a complex symbol set, others did, thus they had to develop rapid keyboard entry methods.

1 Like

Real-time Chinese learning is very simple: it has no grammar (as long as the Chinese words are stacked up on the line (an experiment on the Chinese Internet: multiple groups of two-word Chinese words are switched in the order of the sentence, and the Chinese words are placed in the position of the sentence at will) none of the Chinese people who took the initiative to test the sentence found that there was a big problem, but they all correctly understood the meaning of the sentence); There is no font change (no self-deformation of the Chinese character in the predicate verb because of the singular and plural form of the subject); Weak quantifier restriction (you can use “个” to modify almost any noun, or use no quantifier at all is fine in Chinese); It has a higher density of information (probably a 50-60 page English paper translates to 20 or 30 pages in Chinese, and no other language has less (no, it does: it’s ancient Chinese); There is no limit to the use of traditional Chinese, simplified Chinese basically can be understood by Chinese people, rapid mastery of Chinese (Mandarin) can start from Hong Kong, it is closer to the Chinese dialect Cantonese, and this Hong Kong is exaggerated to carry nearly half of the English private goods, English native speakers will be easier to learn it

FYI: I have a few Hong Kong friends here in Sydney, Australia.

It is said that Chinese citizenship is now much harder to apply for than British/American citizenship, but it is very simple to give up Chinese citizenship, but you need to pay “250” yuan, in China “250” is an insulting term, indicating that the person is stupid, which has a profound meaning

I do not think this true, although I think it is hard to argue either way.

It all depends on which country you are in and want to migrate to, how you try to get citizenship, refugee, skilled Immigrants, family reunion or business immigration. I believe Hong Kong may have advantages immigrating to Britian, Canada and Australia, given it was historically a “colony” of the commonwealth.

It is Difficult Immigrating to China, even just visiting, a Friend has taken months to work in China. But maybe that’s just his situation, and he is not Asian.

1 Like

codemirror6 supports anyword. You can also configure a group of words in advance.

Code snippets are also a good note

2 Likes

Just a simple demonstration

Screenity video - Apr 6, 2024

2 Likes

Thank you for providing the solution, it is similar to code selection autocomplete in vscode, it seems that it can pre-load the mapped long words corresponding to the specified acronym set by the user, maybe it is possible to abbreviate every English word in this way to achieve the effect, but the English vocabulary is too much

i might recommend a different input method instead of a software solution. stenography uses what’s called a chordal keyboard, where multiple letters are pressed at once to make a word very quickly. check out steno keyboards.

it looks like there is a software version of this! Demo | Open Steno Project
it most likely wouldn’t be installed in a tiddlywiki but rather installed on your computer as a keyboard input parser.

1 Like