Is there a rule regarding lower case names in plugins?

All of the plugins in the official repository have names like

$:/plugins/lowercase-author/lowercase-plugin-name

But I see 3rd party plugins with mixed case. This is particularly common:

$:/plugins/lowercase-author/MixedCase-Plugin-Name

So is there any rule or essential convention?

The reason I ask is because the plugin name gets turned into a tiddler path. But

$:/plugins/plugin-author/plugin-name

and

$:/plugins/PLUGIN-AUTHOR/PLUGIN-NAME

are the same thing on Windows, but two different things on Linux/Mac .

Hi @Mark_S I originally used lower case names for core plugin names because I thought it looked better, and was easier to ensure consistency. But the core doesn’t enforce any particular title style, so in practice we should now think of plugin titles as being mixed case.

That’s true, but the filenames and pathnames are not used directly by the core; the correct title field is contained in all the various tiddler files under that path.

Is this quite true, or is it still that one is forced to use lowercase “r” in “…/readme” for such a tiddler to appear automatically as plugin tab? I have found this to break my naming convention making for a somewhat silly mix of uppercase and lowercase initial letter. Or is it perhaps changed now?

I was referring to the titles of plugin tiddlers themselves, not to the titles of shadows within them.

Hello twMat,

I can confirm that when you use tiddlers with Uppercase letter in the list field of a plugin they appear as a plugin tab (tested in 5.2.0).

Best regards,

Eskha

I guess I’m thinking about the other direction. If some tiddlers were in

.../MYPLUGIN

and others in

.../myplugin

would TW just put them altogether as one plugin, or only go down one leg of the trousers? (assuming the contents didn’t conflict).

There is a reason for my asking, and it relates to feedback I’m providing to someone else’s project where this scenario actually came up. If I could, I would prefer to keep my own naming style.

There are two parts to this: how TW iterates through the files and folders as arranged on disc, and how TW extracts tiddlers from the files.

In terms of the iteration, the two folders MYPLUGIN and myplugin cannot co-exist on case-insensitive filing systems, and so TW would only ever see one of them.

None of this affects the titles of the tiddlers read from the files because that is taken from the content of the file.