Is it possible to link to a specific section in the Control Panel?

I tried searching because I feel like the topic has come up before, but not in this specific use case.

For example Appearance → Toolbars → Page Toolbar

If I understand correctly what you want to do, yes you can. The control panel makes use of several shadow tiddlers, each of which manages a specific function. If you use the advanced search function to search for the section that interests you, you will easily find the tiddler that manages that section. (in your example it would be $:/core/ui/ControlPanel/Toolbars/PageControls)
If however you want to open the control panel itself on that section, I don’t know how. But if you want only that specific section, I would do it like I said before.

(Searching for the single section can be useful also if you want to make a button that controls one specific function, just copy the code or transclude the tiddler, and use it as it is most convenient for you.)

I think that’s related to a discussion at GitHub [IDEA] Enable listing of all controlpanel settings · Issue #7117 · Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5 · GitHub

The main problem with the Control Panel is, that all the elements and texts are translatable. So there needs to be a mechanism to find the text within “language-tiddlers” and match them to the tabs in the panel.

Which is related to Are "hint tiddlers" always titled like this?

As might be deducted from my various questions on the matter, I’m working on something for this. I expect to release it withing the next few days.

1 Like

https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/#ActionSetFieldWidget

Is this what you want ?

To get the real tiddler name for any tab within the control panel I use the plugin link-to-tabs and open the individual tiddlers in the story.

• Once open in the story they work as expected but tend to have a less attractive system tiddler titles so I can use a method such as my alt-title package alt-title-display.json (775 Bytes)
  • Another approach is to have regular tiddlers that transclude these system tiddlers so their titles are in the search.

Are you talking about a link to open the tiddler of the section or link to open the control panel with the control panel with opened tab for this section?

In the second case, you could use a linkcatcher widget to change with actions the content of tiddler that store the opened tab in each group of tabs. These tiddler are in the explicitState parameter of each use of tabs macro. For example, the $:/state/tab-1749438307 store the opened tab for this macro in ControlPanel. While the tab is not the default tab, Info in this case.

Thanks @arunnbabu81 , I was not aware of this feature, it is close to what I am seeking.

Also thanks @Alvaro this is also exactly my use case.

My question was more of a curiosity / theoretical question as I know it has been discussed the various issues with the control panel. The problem for me is I find the approach used in the Control Panel of nested tabs within tabs rather difficult to remember. My use case is when I am preparing to upgrade my TiddlyWiki I like to just start with a blank empty.html, then work in all of my various modifications. My intention for linking to the Page Toolbar (which in fact re-arranges the list in the $:/tags/PageControls tiddler) is to place the import button towards the end before more-page-actions. Instead of writing a link to open to the Control Panel, I think it’s easier to simply write:

Change order of [[$:/tags/PageControls]] so import button is before more-page-actions.

Any time I make a modification, I write a terse description with a link to the modified shadow tiddlers. This helps me when I’m upgrading or debugging to keep track of the changes I’ve made so if I’m having an issue with something not working, I will remember my sequence of steps.

Outside of TiddlyWiki I also do this in macOS where I have a text file listing every single (most) settings change I’ve ever made in any System Preferences. Because it’s not always possible to remember where settings such as “Reduce transparency” are changed.

Accessibility - Display - Check the box "Reduce transparency"

• Given this approach of yours consider something I do

When I create new wikis I have a bookmarklet of tiddlers with changes, I just click on it and they are all applied. Primarily to do with button visibility and preferences, such as theme tweaks.

• am working on an easy way to go from a list of tiddler to a bookmarklet but until them try this;
  • Download a new empty.html.
  • Set the user to “settings”
  • Make all you customisations, settings and button visibility and reorders
  • When finished change the user name
  • Now go to advanced search filter tab, and use something like [haschanged[]modifier[settings]] -[prefix[$:/temp]] -[prefix[$:/state]]
  • Export it to a JSON file, and Import / drop on any wiki to apply the saved settings.

Soon I hope to have a method to save a list of tiddlers directly to a bookmarklet.