Introducing the testcase widget

Hi @CodaCoder would there be a great advantage over concatenating the actions into a single string?

Yes, we can use the testcase widget to create simplified setups for explanatory purposes. I would have thought that in the case of view templates and cascades it would generally be more instructive to explore the main wiki.

Hi @TW_Tones the compound tiddler format is designed to make it easy to author testcases by hand. If you’ve got a bunch of existing tiddlers that you want to make into a testcase then generally it would be easier to use those tiddlers directly as payload for the testcase widget, rather than copying them into a compound tiddler.

Thanks @vilc that bug is now fixed.

I am not sure that they should be considered separate things. I quite like the idea that if I am reading about some arcane and complex operator that I can click through to see the full set of testcases in the test edition, and understand the obscure the edge cases.

At the moment, the presence of the expected results determines whether the tests are run, and causes the cross or tick icon to be displayed. Are there other visual changes that you are thinking of?

Perhaps it would be clearer still to use $:/tags/testcase and $:/tags/testcase-failing?

Indeed, the initial reason was backwards compatibility with existing tests, and then I realised that it was useful to be able to access the description without loading up the testcase and extracting the tiddler.

I’ve added a note to the docs here

Thank you that is missing – I would welcome PRs to help with this. At this point they should just target the master branch.

Very strange. Please could you post the code you tried? It may be worth moving this part of the discussion to a GitHub issue.

I’d welcome improvements. It would certainly be good to make sure things look good in the core palettes.

It is intentional that nested testcases get a different colour; otherwise I found them difficult to read. There are actually three custom colours defined in the palette.

Interesting idea. These would have to be actions performed in the host wiki, not the embedded sub wiki.

I think a more fundamental obstacle here is the transient nature of user modifications made within the testcase widget. We would need to add some way of saving the current subwiki state within the host wiki so that we can re-render it properly if there is a refresh.

Sorry, I don’t follow.

As originally specified, you (we) have the ability to specify actions prior to the test (“setup”). I was looking to provide actions after the test (“teardown”).

As to your question, I don’t follow where you’re going with that.

1 Like

What would be the use of these teardown actions in this context? I’m familiar with them in the context of test frameworks for programming languages, but here we’re essentially working with a VM, so it’s not clear what teardown would be needed.

I was thinking of the description of the testcase acting as a link, but that has been sorted out with the fix.

I think this will be much clearer.

I’ll post it to GH too. For anyone reading here, replication:

• clone TestCases/TranscludeWidget/SimpleTransclusion
  • rename to Payload
  • remove the ExprectedResult tiddler from the payload
  • use Payload though the testcase procedure and through the testcase/data widgets, only the latter shows no fail message (as expected when there is no ExpectedResult):

This bug actually leads to one of my previous suggestions, which I have to reformat a bit now.

Currently, if a tiddler tagged $:/tags/wiki-test-spec (or in future $:/tags/testcase) and it contains no ExpectedResult, the “test failed” frame and the :x: icon are shown. Is this the expected behavior?
Wouldn’t it make more sense that a compound tiddler tagged $:/tags/wiki-test-spec/$:/tags/testcase but not containing ExpectedResult be displayed without the fail message?
It might be that both this and issue about using testcase procedure are actually both issues with the template.

I have created a GH issue: [BUG] testcase procedure: “test failed” message displayed even though no ExpectedResult is defined · Issue #8218 · Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5 (github.com)

In a word, “encapsulation” – of both actions prior and actions after.

Could that be achieved by other means? Of course.

Hi @jeremyruston, thank you very much for this spectacular feature! It occurred to me that the test fail/success could be used in documentation to provide interactive challenges to the user, but it doesn’t seem to work as I expected: if I edit the Output text of the example below to, say, The sum is <$text text={{{ [[2]add[6]] }}}/>, I would obtain The sum is 8 as a result but the test would still fail, which is a bit deceptive :slightly_smiling_face:

Is there a way to configure <$testcase> so that the OutputHTML variable gets updated each time the output result is modified by the user? That would mean that the testOutput text defined in <$testcase> would act more like a default value for the test.

Hi @vilc no, that is not intended. As you noted elsewhere, it is a restriction of the testcase tiddler format, and the underlying testcase widget works as intended.

Hi @CodaCoder could you give an example of the need for teardown actions? As in what specific actions might be needed? Given that the wiki doesn’t need clearing up because it is not persistent I am struggling to come up with an example.

At the moment the testcase widget performs the test using an offscreen rendering that is independent of the rendering used for display. It is done this way because we need to be able to run the tests without displaying anything when using the option to only display failing tests. But there may be a possibility to do it differently, I’ll give it some thought.

3 Likes

Fair point. YAGNI.

A todo on my plugin