[INTRO] TiddlyWiki Wikitext Cheatsheet

The Wikitext Cheatsheet Plugin

allows you to lookup the most common wikitext syntax

• creates a new editor toolbar button F1 , that activates a cheat-sheet modal
  • creates a new sidebar button that activates a cheat-sheet modal

The modal is scrollable and most “code examples” can be copied to the clipboard with 1 click.

Demo

Screenshots

Keyboard Shortcuts

The ControlPanelKeyboard Shortcuts - show-cheatsheet configuration can be used to change the default keyboard shortcut setting used in “edit-mode”

WikiLabs Suite

The WikiLabs Main Page gives an overview about all editions, plugins and themes.

There is an Introduction Video how to make the WikiLabs Plugin Library available in your own wikis, accessible from the ControlPanel → Plugins → Get More Plugins dialogue.

Show Screenshot

Code

About Open Source

Most open source software is free of charge and that’s a good thing! But that does not mean, that there are no costs for someone to create, support and maintain it.

So if you use it: Support it!

Have fun!
Mario

11 Likes

very useful! just a note from the screenshots:

• the bold syntax ''bold'' uses apostrophes / single quotes ', not hyphens - (i think you just used the wrong word in the modal)

i can see this being very helpful to someone learning Wikitext!
~scribs

Thanks for the feedback. Did change it in the code. New version should be active in a view moments

Great idea! Have you considered contributing it to the official documentation? I mean just contents of the modal as a single tiddler. The documentation covers all of those things already, but it lacks a compact collection of everything in one place, as in your plugin.

Some suggestions:

• I think it would be more readable and consistent with most of the documentation and the editing/preview pane to have the code on the left and rendered result on the right, but it might be just a matter of preference.
  • The {{$:/Cheatsheet PlainText}} makes many examples longer than necessary, but I guess it is to 1) indicate an empty line is needed between previous paragraph and e.g. list; 2) transclusion instead of plain text makes it easier to maintain the plugin.
  • I quite often find myself confused with the syntax of macros, variables, parameters, in what context should I/ am I allowed to use $x$, $(x)$, <<x>>,<x> , <__x__>, """$x$""" and so on. There are many threads that come down to these exact problems (a recent thread: Frustrations of Wikitext from a Software Dev - Developers - Talk TW (tiddlywiki.org). However it seems difficult to present it all in a compact cheatsheet form.

@vilc I think @pmario is/was working on such a PR.
Check this GitHub link…https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/pull/6842#issue-1321377265

Also, I will add that in the 5.3 update a bunch of new features are going to be added to alleviate this, but will also create the need for new documentation. (The pull request has already been merged)

That’s right. Jeremy and I could not come to a conclusion yet. I think the info is important and useful. That’s why I published it as a plugin, so I can collect user feedback and improve it on my own pace.

The tiddler Wikitext Cheatsheet is easier to edit / develop with the current order. … That’s basically it.

Yea, I did add it as a transclusion, because I wanted to avoid so much “text duplication”.

If others also think it should be replaced by text, just let me know. … IMO there has to be some text otherwise the indentation of lists looks “displaced” … strange.

It’s there “for the looks”

The only way variables should be used starting with TW v5.3.0 is <<x>>
All the other versions are confusing and should be deprecated once the core code is cleaned up.

I hope I only used <<__x__>> in my examples, because they are needed for v5.2.x code to work.

I will change the whole thing once v5.3.0 is out.

The new code is already there, … but I just found out that the <<.from-version "5.3.0">> macro is missing in the plugin.

But <<.from-version "5.3.0">> can be seen in the code examples, but they are not rendered. I’ll fix that as soon as possible :wink:

1 Like