Installing latest TiddlyDesktop on Windows 11 not working

I occasionally use tiddlydesktop but had not for a while and recently lost my windows 11 configuration so I needed to reinstall it. Good time to get the latest copy and revisit its more recent versions.

I followed the instructions and tried to run it and apart from receiving some warnings run it anyway, but nothing appears. The associated video is now so old its hard to believe it is the same. Subsequent clicks on the nw.exe does nothing as well and nothing can be seen running in the task manger.

Has anyone installed it recently, and on Windows 11 and can help me get it running?

Have you had Tiddlydesktop installed before. Then I think you should go to Backstage - and follow the link to configurations folder. Delete the configurations - and restart Tiddlydesktop.
At least I have had that problem before - not using Windows though.

Thanks @Birthe, I did have it installed before my Windows configuration was lost, but then I started a new folder, I cant go to backstage because I don’t get any window at all.

• Run as administrator makes no difference
  • Running it from the command prompt makes no difference
    • From the C:\data\tiddlydesktop-master location

Well I am not a Windows user - but from the information in Backstage - the folder to delete- before restarting Tiddlydesktop - should be something like .config/TiddlyDesktop/Default

I hope a Windows user can help you.

Hi @TW_Tones I believe that the app data location in Windows 11 is generally at:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData

Navigate to that folder for your username, and you should see a subfolder called “TiddlyWiki”. Delete that folder and then run TiddlyDesktop again.

1 Like

Sadly that folder does not exist.

However I found C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\TiddlyDesktop

• Note AppData is a hidden folder.
  • Renaming and deleting this folder does not fix it
  • After running nw.exe this folder is recreated so I expect its the correct folder.

So sadly no fix.

• Hopefully another windows 11 user can test.

I went through some threads in the Google Group. Of course the method you tried, but also a not properly named tiddlywiki - or a tiddlywiki not saved before closing tiddlywiki desktop gave lots of users problems.
Did you by any chance try out your Speciel extensions for Tiddlydesktop too?

TiddlyDesktop associations will need a link to the executable that allows the wiki name to be passed as a parameter. I am not sure it allows this, and why I mentioned @jeremyruston but that is in part why I was installing it again, and so far failed :frowning_face:

Did you unblock the zip file after downloading and before running? (an option when right-clicking on the file, like How to Unblock Downloads in Windows 11 ).

Thanks @michael1 that is the answer, I only had to unblock the zip file, before expanding it into a folder and now nw.exe starts tiddlydesktop.

• @jeremyruston we will need to add this to the documentation for TiddlyDesktop for windows.

I actually looked for something like this from memory. But the fact “unblock is unchecked”, rather than a “blocked being checked” confused me as well as it only being on the zip file.

Is there a hidden resource documenting TiddyDesktop somewhere? or do we need to build it.

I am interested in answering questions such as;

• Opening a given wiki from the command line
    • Alternatively we may preconfigure and use a specific wiki via --user-data-dir but this does not permit ad hoc or document like wikis to be opened through file assocations.
  • Publishing wikis at a local address such as local host
    • Can we serve single file wikis?
  • What steps are needed to first build a folder wiki to import here?