Increase Chromium HTML size limit?

Hi!

I’m a super-happy user of TiddlyWiki (thanks again to all who have helped develop it).
So happy, my notes in it have exceeded 5Mb - which is ok on my laptop but I think my mobile’s browsers (Brave, Chrome) might have hit a size limitation with it?

If I’m correct, does anyone know how to adjust the browser’s settings to allow for the loading of larger HTML’s? I’ve thus far unsuccessfully not found out how to online (mainly talks about PC browsers, HTML online loading speeds or image sizes…)

Thanks,
Kevin.

1 Like

I also have wikis exceeding 5MB — Index of /wikis/minecraft

Is this a known universal issue?

welcome @Kevit perhaps you can try and tell us what if any evidence for reaching a memory limit you have?. Browsers routinely load much larger content and pages, just consider a single high definition image?

• One problem you/we face, is for decades people have being trying to reduce the memory a browser uses, to keep it from hogging memory from other apps.
    • But with tiddlywiki you may start having many of your apps in tabs of the browser, so you may want to happily give the browser more memory from total device memory.
    • unfortunately search for this information is practically impossible with all the tech support posts (usually just to deliver advertising) of more than a decade, using the same keywords but giving a different answer - how to reduce the memory the browser uses.

I would love some advice how to address this search limitation.

Thanks for the prompt responses!
Here’s what I think is evidence…

1. I added more content to my TiddlyWiki on my laptop - no problems, works beautifully as usual.
  2. I uploaded it to my phone. Both Brave and Chrome display a blank page when I load the page.
  3. Check 1: I deleted the file on the mobile and uploaded it again - some blank page as above. I did this twice.
  4. Check 2: I wondered if it is a size limit, so I grabbed a prior version of my TiddlyWiki (just prior to the last notes being added). This one displayed on the mobile’s Brave browser with no issues.

Therefore, I’m thinking there might be a 5Mb HTML size limit ie: I’m not talking about images or video, purely a 5Mb HTML code limit? If so, does anyone know how to set the Mobile browser (Chromium type in this case) to render a larger HTML file?

Cheers,
Kevin.

Perhaps if you install a splashscreen you will get to see if it even tries to load.

• but yes, thanks for the additional info, I hope someone can help

How did you upload to your phone? This sounds more like a corrupt file error. It could also be a function of your phone.

Thanks for your thoughts!
I back up from laptop to Google Drive then download from Google Drive to mobile - that’s worked well for years.
The just prior version of my TiddlyWiki which loaded ok on my mobile was also transferred this way.

While I spontaneously am not aware of any such size limits for mobiles (but I have zero expertise about those matters) I just want to add that FeatherWiki is a slimmed down version of TiddlyWiki. Just sayin.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Turns out that for some reason, it would seem that I ran into multiple erroneous downloads of the latest version of my TiddlyWiki - I just tried my backup/download process as above and the TiddlyWiki now loads on my mobile.

I’m terribly sorry that it wasn’t an issue with the mobile’s browser in the end but hopefully, a few useful thoughts were presented above for all to use.

Thanks again.

1 Like

As an after thought ( you report the issue is over ) - you might wish to look at Tiddloid if you are on Android, I believe there is an iOS equivalent. I use TiddlyDeskTop on my laptop and so to have something fairly similar on my phone makes sense.

I use Tiddlywiki in single file mode and although I treat my desktop version as the master and the phone version as read only I do occasionally write up sketch and idea Tiddlers on the phone when travelling and manually export to the laptop master when I get home - Tiddloid and TiddlyDesktop both make saving changes a little easier and TiddlyDesktop also creates backups. Tiddloid and TiddlyDesktop are fairly thin wrappers (functionality wise) around TiddlyWiki but I find they make all the difference.

Not sure about upper limits - my Tiddlywik is just over 20Mb of text and works well enough on my fairly crappy Android phone.

Thanks for your added thoughts. As reported, my issue was a rare occurrence of the TiddlyWiki not downloading from Google Drive.

Thanks for the pointer re: TiddlyDeskTop - I’ve looked at the demo video for it but am unsure what advantage this delivers vs editing the TiddlyWiki in a standard laptop browser, backing this up to Google Drive from which I download to my mobile?