Improving c-m plugin introduction for new users

I followed some of the dev discussion on GitHub a while back and I was so looking forward to trying the Custom Markup plugin once it reached a level of stability – beta sounds stable enough, so “I’ll give it a try”, I thought. These are my discoveries/thoughts/experiences.

The documentation is rambling, to say the least. This might be the outcome of ongoing development where the author needed to grab each new piece and “get it down somewhere”. That’s fair but still… it’s tantamount to being impenetrable for old but eager eyes like mine.

What is needed, I think, is a background piece that covers the idea, the genesis, of why the plugin might be/is needed:

Did you ever wonder how TiddlyWiki produces image from image? Solution: Tiddlywiki uses a parser which converts special characters like backtick into HTML elements with predefined CSS styling.

Wouldn’t it be cool if you (we!) could add your own special styling to characters you choose and add them to TiddlyWiki so they are magically converted to elements just like TiddlyWiki does with the predefined set? Well, now you can!

Using the all new Custom Markup plugin, you can turn <insert-special-character-example> into <insert-fancy-markup-example> with just a few lines of code!

(Simple worked example follows)

Click here to find out more about \pragma

Click here to find out how to access unicode characters from (regular? most?) keyboards.

I just know this is going to be a game-changer plugin for many people. But adequate documentation is just as important as interim dev releases.

2 Likes

Yea, I think going forward shouldn’t need any more breaking changes. … So the general configuration “structure” should be stable for some more extended uses.

You are right. Thanks for the proposed “teaser” text. … I’ll implement it in the next version. …

This “Plugins : Custom Markup” category should contain suggestions like this.

I know, that basically every tiddler prefixed test- should also be an example with some documentation, how it can be used and how it is configured.

1 Like

I hereby grant @pmario, his agents and cohorts, free unfettered license IN PERPETUITY to use my words as rendered here for purposes as suggested therein.

Or, in everyday American English, “Have at it” :wink:

2 Likes

Right. Give it some welly. Do. (welly = “oomph” outside UK)