Improve c-m documentation in general

Good discussion here so far.

My tuppence on the longer term “documentation” issues. Having worked a lot with CM as it evolved my attitude to it has changed. I came to feel, like @CodaCoder, that an orientating overview of the why is likely a very good idea. But also, echoing @TW_Tones points about it being …

Where do I come out? I do think CM is very rich in what it can do so there isn’t really one single method to document it (in detail) that could be canonical … but a few things stand out that seem very important to have in addition to a conceptual overview …

1. A summary table of how the markers are applied. Both @pmario and I, separately, have attempted this a few times already :slight_smile:. It is especially important as the different default markers have different ways of handling whitespace. This gives CM a lot of power in its parsing of TW text. But it can be conceptually confusing at first, till you grasp the neat underlying logic. But explaining this clearly is not so easy!

2. A summary table of how to use with macros and especially noting the (rich) syntax for parameter passing.

3. Lastly, likely most helpful will be a modest library of examples. I made a few myself to understand how CM works. @pmario already provides some basic examples for nice boxing and sectioning. A few more examples worked though on how to harness standard HTML could help. For instance I did a simple one for the <q> tag to illustrate to myself how to use CM to directly leverage HTML attributes in TW through Custom Markup.

My current thoughts
Best wishes
TT

2 Likes

Please share them. If you deem this the wrong setting, then, if @pmario is willing, drop them on him for inclusion on the demo site.

Either way, what we have at the moment is some loosely coupled reference material. I think it needs guide material which is a little more “conversational” than that which currently exists (ya know, like what i writ up there, innit.) :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I need test them with the latest update of the plugin and maybe revise for the slightly changed syntax.

However, @pmario already has access to most of them and I think he intends to use a few of them in final documentation?

1 Like