Ideas to Improve the Static Landing Page

I was shocked at how dysfunctional the static Landing Page at https://tiddlywiki.com/static appears to be! …

I fully understand that “static” TW cannot support dynamic.

BUT landing on it with 7 items out of 9 not doing anything is bad news, I think.

Would it not be better if the front page of “Static TW” was just a TOC of tiddlers it includes?

Thoughts, TT

1 Like

Yes, there is room for improvement. At the moment the static export mechanism uses the same template as the dynamic TW.

We need a new template for static only, which doesn’t contain any dynamically created interactive elements like tabs, search, and the page-buttons (new, control panel, save) and so on.

Since the menubar doesn’t work it static, it should be replaced by a “simple” nav element, that contains standard links like [[Sites]] GettingStarted [[Contents]] … May be [[Home]] that links to static-home

This nav should be part of every page.

There should be a footer that links to level 1 TOC list like HelloThere, Learning …

Those level 1 tiddlers usually contain a list of related links

Every page should also shows a link to List All Tiddlers, which should be a responsive multi column list. That’s a list that I would use with the F3 browser search function

Tag’s should link to pages that contain lists similar to the Learning list above

And so on … There is a lot to do

I’m pretty sure that contributions are very welcome here.

2 Likes

It would be cool, if HelloThere would look like this and the sidebar is working

Learning should look like this, with the sidebarlinks working.

I think it should be possible to have a configuration somewhere, that prepares the sidebar state and then renders the different tiddlers. Having level 1 tiddlers with a working TOC would be a very nice step and it would only need 12 configurations to be rendered.

1 Like

uups … That actually doesn’t make too much sense :confused:

That’s probably better.

2 Likes

Since most tiddlers have a tag, it should be relatively easy to create a template, that renders the content of the tag-pill as a footer with a sitemap. This would completely remove the need of the sidebar and configuration tiddlers.

The tags are already configured. I think the navigation should be covered that way. …

Just a thought

1 Like

Except that still has non-op menus Open, Recent, Tools, More.

Can all this be done from templates?

I feel like all the static pages need a disclaimer like, “This is a static page. For the most effective experience, visit the official page at tiddlywiki.com”

Because really, aren’t the static pages mostly for the benefit of search engines? Like they’re not really meant for personal browsing.

2 Likes

They do have one, which can’t be seen on the start page.

hmmm, But if they exist, they should still work. IMO page ranking gets a hit, if links don’t work. And working links improve visibility too.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed replies!

I’m so glad you see the issues and have a sense of how someone, might maybe, solve them.

Very best, TT

Yes. That’s the crazy thing. Everything in TW is template based.

So with the right template we can do everything. The problem is – time

1 Like