[Idea] pinned thread for general or repetitive one off comments and questions

So, often times I find myself unable to figure out a specific setting required to adjust tiddlywiki, however not a big enough topic to start a new thread here at Talk.tiddlywiki.

having a pinned General Discussion Topic pinned beneath the Welcome to the Talk thread, where users can come in, ask their small one off question, such as “how do I apply a border to the last tiddler” or “how do you change fonts” etc. ? (I am actually trying to figure out how to apply :nth-last-child to a tiddler, but anyways) and either have an answer responded to them or be pointed to a thread that discusses it in length?

Would it be better to create those topic threads, even though they are small and likely repetative in frequency?

Mostly we need more people to curate, collate, collect, and tag. Topics are free, Curation makes it valuable! If you have the question, likely others do as well!

If people ask “how do I do X” 18 times, then you merge that question into the thread that answers x.

SEO and search (and maybe, upgraded documentation if people keep asking about X) should reduce that over time.

I do think this does point to a need for more basics in getting started with customizing TW.

Someone taking the time to make a #tips-and-tricks that collects 8 threads talking about X is another thing that can be done and could be modified over time. Can you think of the top 10 settings you’d like to tweak? Sounds like a great tips article!

1 Like

Ah, yea that makes a lot of sense actually, moving comments around is a cool feature I’ve only seen here, and hadn’t considered it’s application like that.

hm… off the top of my head, targeting specific tiddlers, how to add or modify the ui, such as moving the sidebar or adding a bottom bar like a mobile layout, are targetting specific elements such as just the tag manager button, versus all other buttons.

Small things like that in general I find a bit tricky, even when tracking them down using the browsers inspect feature.

on a side-note, I did not know that #tips-and-tricks was a thing here, so maybe instead of a comment thread for small questions, a board, like a forum might have, where each area has a simple description next to it, for easy navigation?

Do we have something like that here?

There is a tag browser view Talk TW where if we did more work in tagging with #view-template or #storyview or #sidebar we’d have some good resources.

This is a forum, so maybe you can share a screenshot of what you’re thinking for an interface?

The Docs plugin — which lets you filter by tag — is something we might consider. Discourse Docs (Documentation Management) - plugin - Discourse Meta

But I’m hesitant to add more things as we don’t have enough people curating resources or adding docs today.

Tags people, tags! And collecting / transcluding existing threads!

I haven’t forgotten about your mod request. Thanks for suggesting features!

I’ve noticed when making a new topic in discourse, it doesn’t list all the tags, is there a way to have a scrollable popup with them, rather than showing just the main 5?

I actually did not notice the tags browser on the main page until you mentioned it, so I imagine a newer member might make the same error, and only assume the 5 in the optional tags selector is the only 5 to choose from. (I also just now learned discourse accepts multiple tags, which is a very nice feature lol)

5 is max for input! Which is probably a lot. I’d be happy if people added one tag – most of the #discussion has none.

There really should be more than 4 entries tagged with #view-template – even just going through and searching for viewtemplate gives us 50+ results.

Just like there is an “About” link and so on, we could also do a visible “Tags” link at the top? What do you think @Justin_H?

Hmm, I think that could be a good idea, or maybe just a section of it’s own along side categories bookmarks and so forth. having it right up there next to About gives it a lot of importance, so having it along side categories and bookmarks and what not would be easily accessible but not to the degree of the ‘About’, ‘Links’, or ‘Install’ buttons.

(btw the ‘Categories’ Section is exactly like what I had in mind so I’m glad that we do have something like that!) I imagine having a Tags section could be a full page with the number of discussions next to it, to show how popular it is.

I noticed that about a few discussion threads, and I can say I have done the same in the past regrettably, mostly because I felt if it didn’t fit the five already in the tag input box, it would be better off in the untagged area.

It was one of the things that led to my curiosity about showing more tags funnily enough.

Seems TiddlyWiki has something of an advantage over on Discourse haha