I Rendered my SideBar Inoperative by Adjusting the ControPanel Theme Tweeks Sizes

This was so weird that I have to report it.

I was adjusting the Sizes in the ControlPanel Theme Tweeks area and at one point my SideBar became completely unresponsive. I could not create a new tiddler. I could not open the Control Panel again.

After scrutinizing my file system for permissions issues and finding none (it is a node tiddlywiki), in a desperate attempt to recover my wiki I imported the $:/ControlPanel into the non-functioning wiki from one that was working normally. After resetting the sizes (Story right, Story width, Tiddler width, Sidebar breakpoint, and sidebar width) to match my functioning wiki, I was able to recover the sidebar function again.

I don’t know how or why this happened, but I thought I would throw this out there so you gurus could speculate and educate the neophytes like me.

Cheers

For future reference when one get in a pickle like this there are a few strategies that may help recover

• Import or drag and drop the tiddler you broke (as you suggested)
  • Go to tiddlywiki.com and lookup the shortcut keys to do things you can no longer do through the user interface
  • Install a utility package that may help you fix the problem
    • One example I use is edit-recent-sidebars.json (3.2 KB) which provides tabs in the sidebar for recent, system and temp/state tiddlers but also has an edit button, so you can open a tiddler directly in edit, rather than view it first. This complements the next tip.
  • You may want to start your wiki with a working tiddler in the address bar https://tiddlywiki.com/#Home so a problem tiddler is not opened in the story.

There is an open issue at GitHub, that describes the problem. It’s a bit hard to fix though.

Help would be very welcome.

Good to know. Thanks for your replies.