I made a guide for the steam deck - thoughts?

Here it is : https://steamdeckguide.tiddlyhost.com

So far people over r/SteamDeck seem to like it. Any advice on how I could improve this would be greatly appreciated !

3 Likes

This is a fantastic resource. (I was thinking about ge tting one, but ended up going for a GPD Win 3 :sweat_smile:)

Only thing I can really make a note on, is that when using it in mobile view, the More Options dropdown button on the bottom taskbar is inaccessible.

Other than that- this is really very clean and useful, nicely done :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks ! I’m using this theme : Notebook theme — A clean, uncluttered TiddlyWiki theme

There are some minor issues like the popup you mentioned, I fixed one (sidebar break points) and will try to fix the other, thanks for your feedback ! :slight_smile:

The visual design of it is interesting. I’m not a Steam Deck bod, nor a Steam Punk, but your design is interesting already.

TT

1 Like

@telumire It looks like you are well versed in the “Steam Deck”, as far as I can see it is a gaming platform or portable solution. Perhaps for some of us who have not gone down this path a simple overview for the uninitiated of the uses and values of a steam deck especially for hosting tiddlywiki’s but a general introduction, may make your work more accessible/relevant to tiddlywiki users.

Random Question: How useful would it be to use a steam deck in the work place to access work instructions? It looks like something engineers use in science fiction, but would it be practical?

The steam deck is like the Nintendo switches big brother. It’s a full handheld PC with controllers attached and designed for playing games on the go. It runs a flavour of linux by default and steam runs windows games in a not emulation layer (I think it’s built off of WINE (Wine Is Not Emulation) but I could well be wrong).

People have been doing interesting things with it.

@Ste_W is spot-on, the steam deck is using proton, a compatibility layer build off WINE.

It has a gaming mode (SteamOS GUI) and a desktop mode (KDE Plasma). I wrote most of the guide on the steam deck using tiddlydesktop first then timimi (I had some troubles with that, so I wrote an article on how to make it works with firefox flatpak).

The screen is too small for office work so you need to connect it to a usb-c hub, a screen, a keyboard and a mouse so I can’t recommend it for this kind of use, although it is quite powerful. I sometime need to move to another house so I use it as a pc replacement in those occasions instead of my regular PC since it’s so light, but it shines the best as a gaming device.

Thanks @telumire

I use Google Keep on my Mobile and on my desktop to transfer content into my main wiki(s). I have long thought “keep” like apps, would work well on tiddlywiki on low profile devices. However they must be designed for purpose.

Personally I am not much of a gamer, I am more into science and technology, so I like to keep abreast of the tech. I also like to consider the different form factors and reemploying in ways not originally envisioned. I am currently using and am a Fan of the Intel NUC.

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

The steam deck is very compact x86 computer, essentially a laptop in the form-factor akin to the nintendo switch, with the added ability to use a docking station, but using integrated graphics rather than a gpu.

It runs a flavour of arch linux, and as far as a portable workstation goes, it could be useful in some circumstances, but it’s design is more geared towards pc games with controller support and game emulation, since it lacks a physical keyboard, and a select amount of ports.

I personally have a similar device called a GPD Win 3, which runs windows 10, and I use mine for gaming as well, but there are devices geared towards being highly portable dev tools, such as the GPD Pocket 3, which has rotating screen and kvm modules for interfacing with servers, as well as a physical keyboard.

1 Like

I can see tiddlywiki running on a mobile device being useful for on the job applications such as inventory, Point of sale, picking (products from warehouse), with smart design it would be tolerant of offline use as well, not need to ensure wifi everywhere.

Note that Steam kind of support windows as well on the SteamDeck: Steam Support :: Steam Deck - Windows Resources

The form factor isn’t really suited for productivity work, but considering the price–performance ratio, it might be a good option if on a budget / as a backup device.