How to paste the Output of your Tiddlers Here in Discourse

Have you composed a lovely Tiddler only with Wiki text and HTML you would like to share in discourse but retain all the formatting?

I have composed this post in a tiddler in tiddlywiki, except for this line.
Advantages
  • Retain your formatting for easy reading
  • Allows you to effectively use TiddlyWikis markup to compose discourse documents
  • Show the result when trying to explain something
  • Include active links, including to your wiki if it is published on the internet.
  • Consider sharing the tiddler or its code as well if it helps users
  • Since you compose in TiddlyWiki is retains your post in tiddlywiki
  • Share Snipits like this;
<kbd>Control Panel > Plugins > Get More plugins</kbd>
Disadvantages
See caveats below
  • Install the core plugin Internals from Control Panel > Plugins > Get More plugins save and reload.
  • Now go to the tiddler
  • Open the Preview pain and select Raw HTML
  • Select all the HTML content there in.
  • Start your discourse post and post this into it.
    • By default this is treated by discourse as code
  • Remove the ''' before and after your pasted html and it will display as expected.
Caveats
  • Content external you your tiddler may not be available in your post
    • So stick with self contained tiddlers
  • Style/class and themes CSS may not operate as expected
  • Review your Disscorse post because there may be unwanted results.
1 Like

You made your post a wiki. But the content is “not human editable”. …

So from my point of view it would be better to install the core markdown plugin and copy paste the “raw markdown text” from a markdown tiddler to the forum here. … or vice versa.

Just my thought.

A lot of TW users prefer wikitext.

But if your TW source is online, there are various browser extensions that can grab your rendered text and convert it to markdown. Might not always deal with complex mark-down, though.

The following is from the copycat extension. I stopped before the images because it the ASCII data for images is huge.

HelloThere

3rd October 2021 at 8:15am

TableOfContents

Have you ever had the feeling that your head is not quite big enough to hold everything you need to remember?

Welcome to TiddlyWiki, a unique non-linear notebook for capturing, organising and sharing complex information.

Use it to keep your to-do list, to plan an essay or novel, or to organise your wedding. Record every thought that crosses your brain, or build a flexible and responsive website.

Who needs Markdown when we have simple access to HTML already natively in TW?

Just a comment
TT

But @pmario this is about copying content already in a wiki especially from tiddlywiki.com if you are editing the documentation for submission.

For example I would like to change all widget messages to include two examples we can click to copy.

Eg: WidgetMessage: tm-add-field tiddler;

The tm-add-field message is handled by the FieldManglerWidget. It adds the specified field with a blank value if the field doesn't already exist.

Name Description
param Name of field to add

The add field message is usually generated with the ButtonWidget, and is handled by the FieldManglerWidget.

Adding below;

Examples;

<$action-sendmessage $message="tm-add-field" $param="fieldname"/>

<$button message="tm-add-field" param="fieldname"/>add fieldname</$button>

Resulting in;

The tm-add-field message is handled by the FieldManglerWidget. It adds the specified field with a blank value if the field doesn't already exist.

Name Description
param Name of field to add

The add field message is usually generated with the ButtonWidget, and is handled by the FieldManglerWidget.

Examples;

<$action-sendmessage $message="tm-add-field" $param="fieldname"/>
<$button message="tm-add-field" param="fieldname"/>add fieldname</$button>

Because HTML is really messy and non-legible to read and edit by hand.

2 Likes