How to make blockquote look as expected?

If I have some quote material like this:

> ik belde
> jij belde 
> hij belde
> zij (she) belde

I expect it to look like this (from Obsidian) :

Instead, in TW I get:

This is quoted material – I expect the spacing to be retained. I can make it look normal by using a single > and then putting a line break <br/> between each entree. But this is really awkward to type and read in the raw text:

> ik belde<br/>jij belde <br/> hij belde<br/> zij (she) belde

How can I use quoted texts easily and have them render sanely?

Thanks!

<style>
blockquote div {margin:0px;}
</style>

> ik belde
> jij belde
> hij belde
> zij (she) belde

Screenshot 2023-04-29 5.01.03 PM

Thanks Charlie!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Say you don’t necessarily want all blockquotes to look that way, you could do this:

<style>
mbq blockquote div {margin:0px;}
</style>

<mbq>

> ik belde
> jij belde
> hij belde
> zij (she) belde
</mbq>

Say you want the style available across your entire TW, then setup the style in a stylesheet tiddler.

Or however else you want to implement the style.

If you you want to change the behaviour globally Charie’s solution is valid.

If you want to be more flexible you should use a custom class for the blockquotes you want to change. eg:

<style>
.mb {
  margin: 0;
}
</style>

>.mb quote 1
>.mb quote 2

The screenshot shows, how the created HTML output looks like. You can see, that every DIV inside the BLOCKQUOTE element got a class named: mb, which can be used to style the element.

This gives you maximum flexibility.

This mechanims works for most TW block elements, like headings, lists and so on. eg:

*.xx test

!.ab heading

which creates

<ul><li class="xx">test</li></ul>

<h1 class="ab">heading</h1>

1 Like

Oh wow, I didn’t know you could just make up a html tag like that and use it with CSS! Might be useful to force specificity. Thanks!

Before posting I reviewed the docs at Tiddlywiki dot com on CSS and formatting. There was no mention that classes could be added to individual elements like >. Just the triple <<<

I did try

""".myclass

And found it didn’t work. Maybe I’ll have to test that again.

Thanks!

@Mark_S it works for many but not all, but there are other ways to get similar results, so do spell the exceptions out.

I have used classes for done = d cancel c

* task item
*.d another task cone (line through green)
*.c A task canceled in red text

Hi Mark,

In case you are interested in options: I found two variants to achieve the same result. The first is simple, the second might be semantically interesting for your example that reminds me of a list.

<<< 
"""
ik belde
jij belde
hij belde
zij (she) belde
"""
<<<

---

<<<.nolist
* ik belde
* jij belde 
* hij belde
* zij (she) belde
<<<

<style>.nolist ul { list-style:none; padding: 0; }</style>

All the best,
Thomas

1 Like

Oooh. I like that second option, because Code Mirror knows how to make bullets automatically, though it doesn’t know how to make > automatically.

1 Like