How to make a template/button?

My apologies for the delay in responding. I have had a big week. Yesterday, I spent some time on my Tiddlywiki website and it’s coming together nicely. I do admit that it has been quite a learning curve for me, and some elements are quite out of my knowledge.

For now, I’m returning to my quest to find a quicker way of importing the posts from a Wordpress export. As requested, I attempted to attach an xml file with 3 book reviews, but received a message saying the file type is not authorised.

In total, I guess there are about 400 to 500 posts I wish to import into Tiddlywiki, the rest I will happily permanently dump. I did look into converting an xml file to json but the process is beyond me. It may be faster to copy and paste, in the long run.

For now, I will copy and paste a few and move on to creating a condensed version of my website to see if I can work out how to upload it via Github. Once I know I can do that, then I’ll seriously consider my options to moving my entire website over.

you can rename it from abc.xml to abc.xml.json. … May be that works.

You should be able to rename *.xml.txt before attaching

Do consider my offer

Or if your site is published give us a link or sample export files.

Otherwise we haven insufficient into to help.

You can just share with one individual too.

OK, I’m going to try to upload the xml file as a csv file instead. No, it didn’t work. I also changed the extension to json, but was unsuccessful.

My website can be found at https://karenleefield.com

I just had a quick look at the site and it should be trivial.

I will have a closer look tomorrow +10 hours. But I will message you privately.

Thy this one: https://wormhole.app/ … It will create a link, where we can download the content.

@pmario and @TW_Tones
I have uploaded an export from Wordpress for you to look at. There are 10 posts included from one category. The export is the standard export (not using a plugin) and looks a bothersome to me as it runs down the page, instead of across the page with titles.

Here’s the link: Wormhole link.

Apparently, the file will be deleted in 24 hours. I wasn’t able to lengthen the timeframe. Please let me know what you think. I do have files for other categories too, as I’m not interested in bringing all the posts over, just the relevant ones.

kind regards,
Karen

1 Like

Hi, I did have short look. … But I do not see any fields like “The blurb” or the Rating elements in the export. … It seems to contain 11 articles. … Should they have this meta data?

Thanks Karen,
TiddlyWiki could be given the capacity to handle XML Files however it does not currently. I am at for some XML tools that some one developed in the past but it would be more useful if it was in a CSV column format.

[Edited] I just found in my notes MS Excel reads XML so this is a way to generate a simpler csv from XML

@pmario I’m sorry, it appears I’ve uploaded the wrong one. It’s the author interviews instead of the book reviews. The format is the same for both, but different categories etc.

@TW_Tones This is the standard export. I’ve installed several plugins and they are confusing. However, I did manage to get an xml that had the data in columns. I can’t get a CSV unless I pay for an upgrade, which I’m not willing to do.

Here’s the link to the right document: 3 Review Wormhole Link

I’m sorry for wasting your time. If this doesn’t work, I think I’ll just work out how to get a working website and copy and paste the data.

But that is a CSV. IMO the XML version would be better. At least the first XML you sent was better. … The CSV contains a very “ugly” content, where every paragraph is covered in HTML comments, that are not visible and not useful. …

Thiat last “csv” file looks good to me, it contains 4 reviews, although most of the information is stored in the “content” field.

• I will most likely look at it tomorrow, +12 hours.

Be patient, I am sure we can help. Manual will take a lot of time.

• We are close now.

Open this plugin and look at the contents;

Data_Posts-Export-reviews.json (17.0 KB)

It need a little more work to simplify and or extract more data but this could work as is.

I took a look. It looked fine. The only thing that might be an issue is that the reviews appear to be shadow tiddlers. Was that intended? Or did I upload them incorrectly?

Actually, I don’t think they are shadow tiddlers, but they only show up when I click on them in the plugin. If I close the tiddler, I can only open it again by going back to the plugin.

1 Like

They are shadow tiddlers and its common to use them that way. We can show you how. But as soon as you edit them they become regular tiddlers.

A long as you have the title you can open them.

Share a full export in a private message and I will concert the lot. Or give you the instructions.

Thank you @TW_Tones

I have to get ready for work now, so I’ll organise the export this afternoon when I get home.

1 Like

@TW_Tones
Sorry, I couldn’t work out how to send you a private message. I don’t think your settings allow it. I have uploaded the full export on wormhole. Thank you for attempting to help me. I do appreciate it.

I have already downloaded the file, feel free to delete/edit your post if you want.

To send a private message, click on the user name, then message

1 Like