How to escape freelinks?

Greetings to the TW Community.

Freelinks is an official tiddlywiki plugin that “automatically create links from any tiddler title”. It’s much like the CamelCase linking in the aspect that it automatically links to a tiddler if you use camel case. The only difference in the two is that there’s a way to escape CamelCase (i.e., using the tilde “~” character) while the other does not. In the case of freelinks you can turn it off using filters but it does so in a way that it turns off freelinks on the whole tiddler.

Is it possible to escape freelinks much like escaping CamelCase? The reason I ask is that sometimes I want to turn off freelinks on some words but not on the whole tiddler itself.

Thanks.

Edit: See how a tiddler becomes full of unnecessary freelinks.

There is a filter setting for freelinks, which allows you to define the tiddler-titles, that should be freelinked.

$:/config/Freelinks/TargetFilter config tiddler can contain the filter or a title-list

Since freelinks are very performance heavy, it does not make sense to activate the function and then escape them. The only way it makes sense is to not use them at all if you need to escape them.

You can either use CamelCase links of the explicit [[link syntax]], which are “cheap” in terms of performance, as an alternative.

Keep in mind freelinks only occur to existing titles. So is possible rename a title, perhaps using a caption instead.

You can also configure freelinks with a filter for which tiddler-title-strings get freelinked (as opposed to: which tiddlers have freelinks displayed within them).

Most of the time, that seems like the logical thing from my point of view, at least in my typical projects. (I may have tiddlers with titles such as will idea dialogue valid person – each of which has a distinct philosophical meaning – without wanting those strings to be generally freelinked given their more ordinary appearances.) Then I can always create a manual link for this or that occurrence that does involve the more technical meaning.