How to create a button that adds/removes values in a field, taking these values from another field

I was trying to create a navigation mechanism between sequential tiddlers and to avoid having to use too many tags I was going to use another “twin” field of the tags field. I then realized that a better idea could be to use only the tags field but to hide the tags that I didn’t want to “pollute” the view. (How to make a tag “twin”)

To do this I’m making changes to $:/core/ui/EditTemplate/tags (I freely took inspiration from this other topic).

Here I modified this part:

\define tag-body-inner1(colour,fallbackTarget,colourA,colourB,icon,tagField:"tags")
\whitespace trim
<$vars foregroundColor=<<contrastcolour target:"""$colour$""" fallbackTarget:"""$fallbackTarget$""" colourA:"""$colourA$""" colourB:"""$colourB$""">> backgroundColor="""$colour$""">
<span style=<<tag-styles>> class="tc-tag-label tc-tag-list-item tc-small-gap-right"><$button class="tc-btn-invisible" style=<<tag-styles>>><$action-listops $tiddler=<<saveTiddler>> $field=".tags2" $subfilter="+[{!!title}]"/>{{$:/img.freccia-giù}}</$button>
<$transclude tiddler="""$icon$"""/><$view field="title" format="text" />
<$button class="tc-btn-invisible tc-remove-tag-button" style=<<tag-styles>>><$action-listops $tiddler=<<saveTiddler>> $field=<<__tagField__>> $subfilter="-[{!!title}]"/>{{$:/core/images/close-button}}</$button>
</span>
</$vars>
\end

And I added in the tag pill a button that should “move” the tag from the main tags to the secondary tags (or to put it better this button should add the name of the tag to the field “.tags2” without removing it from the field “tags”. It then is not displayed alongside the other tags not because it is not there anymore but because the filter* that chooses witch tag to display excludes the tags whose names appears in the “.tags2” field.)

*The filter is: [list[!!$tagField$]sort[title]] :except[<currentTiddler>get[.tags2]enlist-input[]]

To better illustrate the situation:

• How can I make these arrow buttons add to and remove from the “.tags2” field values, without changing the “tags” field?

The interested part of the code is this one:
<$button class="tc-btn-invisible" style=<<tag-styles>>>
<$action-listops $tiddler=<<saveTiddler>> $field=".tags2" $subfilter="+[{!!title}]"/>
{{$:/img.freccia-giù}}
</$button>

I think it should use $action-listops, but I’m not quite sure how

I went down this path some time ago, and in the end abandoned it, because it was often confusing. Using the Alt tags / gen tags plugin may be easier or I would be inclined to save a value in a field of the tag (tiddler) eg; hidden-tag field, and modify (a copy) the “view template tags display” to honor this value ie don’t show tiddlers with this field hidden-tag=yes, you can then toggle hidden on a per tag basis across the wiki.

• This way you see all tags in edit mode and not the hidden ones in view mode.
  • Similarly you could make a way to display only hidden-tag=no tags.

Actually, I’m not finding this approach uncomfortable. Thanks for the advice anyway @TW_Tones.
I prefer to be able to do both, hide tags globally or locally on a tiddler basis. And to be able to see all the tags anyway in the editor but “sorted” by role (on the first row I have the “normal” tags, on the second the “secondary” tags etc.)

As for the button I’m trying to make, I did some more tests and now I’m fairly shure I’m on the right path. It seems to work now. (and I can’t understand how I didn’t notice the solution before :sweat_smile:)

I’ll share the code to add and remove the values. I think it’s correct, but if anyone notices something off please tell me.

To add:

<$action-listops $tiddler=<<saveTiddler>> $field=".tags2" $subfilter="[{!!title}]"/>
{{$:/icon}}
</$button>

To remove:

<$action-listops $tiddler=<<saveTiddler>> $field=".tags2" $subfilter="-[{!!title}]"/>
{{$:/icon}}
</$button>