How to contribute to the TW documentation using TW PR-Maker

Thank you.

While this looks great, I am a programmer and very used to code editors. I’m also used to GitHub, and from what I read of that, I could equally well fork https://github.com/twlinks-ci-test/TiddlyWiki5, branch, make my changes locally and submit a pull request from that branch. Does that sound right? The main point of saqimtiaz’s tool in the end is simply to create a PR for the right repo, correct?

Yes it’s just a convenient tool to use when you want to edit one or several tiddlers directly in tiddlywiki then make a PR, but you can do it the “normal” way too of course ^^

Cool, thank you. I’m still not sure how or what I might be able to contribute, but it’s very nice to know how.

– Scott

1 Like

That’s the wrong repo. At the moment GitHub - Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5: A self-contained JavaScript wiki for the browser, Node.js, AWS Lambda etc. is the repo to fork.

• fork from the link mentioned above … which I call “upstream”
  • download your forked repo … I call it “origin” later
  • make sure that “origin” is up to date with upstream
  • Switch to the origin tiddlywiki-com branch
  • create a feature-branch for your contribution
  • create a PR against upstream tiddlywiki-com branch from your origin feature-branch

The upstream master branch is the source of truth, to start a new origin feature-branch for code contribution

upstream tiddlywiki-com is the source of truth to start a documentation contribution. …

The difference between those 2 branches is how they are published. tiddlywiki-com is published immediately after contributions are merged to upstream.

So TW documentation can move much faster as TW new versions, which are updated between 6 and 12 months. … or so.

A “feature-branch” is a local branch to create a PR which only contains changes, related to 1 feature, to keep the change count in 1 PR smaller.

1 Like

Ok. I misunderstood the default when looking at that plugin. I will use the Jermolene one instead.

The rest describes the exact mechanism I was imagining, how I manage my own open source projects, and what I push for in my day job. I’m glad to learn that it will work here as well.

Thank you.