How to change tiddler background color based on content-type

I’m a basic TW user on Windows. I have TW 5.2.2. I have one TW HTML file stored on a network drive, there is no other software I use for TW.

I have one TW file where some tiddlers are standard TW markup, and some are Markdown. How do I change the background color of a tiddler if the content type is markdown aka “text/markdown”? I’d like to make it a light gray, the default bg color is now white.

Right now for markdown tiddlers, I just make the first line read “(Markdown)”.

Thank you!

The core provides an easy way to style tiddlers based on their tags. What you are trying to achieve is very similar.

Note that the core tiddler $:/core/ui/ViewTemplate adds a property data-tags={{!!tags}} to the <div> element displaying the tiddler. This allows to apply a custom style based on the tags, as in the example linked above.

You can edit $:/core/ui/ViewTemplate and add a property data-type={{!!type}} to this div, it should look like this:

... <div data-tiddler-title=<<currentTiddler>> data-tags={{!!tags}} data-type={{!!type}} class={{{ ...

Then you can style tiddlers with type text/markdown by placing the CSS below in a tiddler tagged with $:/tags/Stylesheet:

[data-type="text/markdown"] {
  background: <<colour code-background>>;
}

Result on tw-com:

Side notes:

• It’s best to use a color from the palette (e.g. <<colour code-background>>) instead of hard coding it in the CSS (e.g. #fafafa). If you ever change the palette, especially to a dark one, the color won’t be totally out of place.
  • It’s best not to overwrite core tiddlers, like I did with $:/core/ui/ViewTemplate, it may cause issues when updating TW or troubleshooting.
    • There should be a way of achieving what you want without overwriting core tiddlers by tapping into the same mechanism by which some tiddlers (e.g. stylesheet) are displayed in a certain different way – View Tempalte Body Cascade. It seemed a bit too complicated for me to utilize it properly, but hopefully someone else can explain it.
  • I realize this might not be the most elegant and efficient solution, I’m eager to hear other answers.

TiddlyWiki, as of a few versions ago, makes it very easy to add additional classes to the page template wrapper or to the tiddler template using filters.

Add a tiddler tagged: $:/tags/ClassFilters/TiddlerTemplate with the following text:

[<storyTiddler>type[text/markdown]then[md-tiddler]]

Then add a tiddler tagged $:/tags/Stylesheet with the text:

.md-tiddler {
    background: <<colour code-background>>;
}

References:

9 Likes

Thanks for this…

IMO, it says “something” about the docs when that sentence makes absolutely clear what the link doesn’t. :confused: