How many people here love tiddlyclip plug in

I can reproduce this… unfortunately chrome is removing the line returns so there is not way for me to fix this.

It is possible to convert clipped html into text but as only a part of the pages html is copied it would not work 100% of the time.

I have create a new macro to extract the text:

1 Like

I love tiddlyclip, but not used it for sometime. I am trying to install the new version in both chrome and Firefox (Potentially Edge). I am no longer sure where to get the plugin (not addons), and this does not seem documented at GitHub - buggyj/tiddlyclip

Also I placed a wiki in file:///C:/Users/antho/Downloads/TiddlyWiki-in-downloads.html as I understand it will only clip to there?

However I am not seeing clips occur, but I still need to add the plugin.

On a side note the prerealase at https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/#TiddlyClip%20by%20buggyjay has updated but still points to http://tiddlyclip.tiddlyspot.com should this be changed? before the new 5.2.2 release?

[Edit] Post script: what is the savemedia plugin, and how does it relate to tiddlyclip?

Look at this for the latest plug in

Will reply when I am back home if no one else answer the rest of the questions

1 Like

This just the plugin in the tid file yes?

You can drag and drop from this site if you want

https://arsheth.tiddlyhost.com

I am not in a place to check what you asked

What and how are you clipping?

You can clip to any TW file that that has the plugin and that has been “docked”. It’s physical location is irrelevant. Hower …

This is an extension that allows you to save media (e.g. an image) to a directory, and create (if I recall) the appropriate tiddler. Unfortunately, that directory has to be below your downloads directory. Also unfortunately, it is called “media”, which means it isn’t compatible with the rest of TW , which uses “files” as the place to serve up media files. So you can’t use it to collect images and then drag the tiddlers over to a normally structured wiki without remapping the _canonical_uri field.

I have updated the demo wiki.
https://arsheth.tiddlyhost.com/

As the default tiddler I have put the TiddlyClipConfig

In that you can find a long list of rules I have added - all of them may not make sense to your needs.

This is my general understanding about tiddlyclip’s working.

• Snip - clip selected text
  • Pin - clip external images if you hover the cursor over the image.
  • Snap - Save screenshots (snaps can be saved at local files using save media option or within the wiki itself)
  • Html -Clip webpage as html and edited using visual editor.
  • select - this helps to select large chunks of text together for clipping

I have added a few extra rules with help of buggyj

• Pdfsnip - Clip text from pdf and link to a specific page in the pdf file.
  • Htmlanchors - clip text, pins, snap from webpage and link them to specific location in the webpage.
  • Clip text, pins, snaps as streams tiddlers,
  • userstring option to give custom titles for the clipped tiddlers.

Most of these can be found in the Discussion page of Tiddlyclip-plug in.

1 Like

media folder has to be in the same folder as the wiki. Is there any disadvantage for this. I use only single file html wikis and i have been using save media and save tiddlers addons without much problems.

May be @buggyj have an answer for this. I have been pestering him with my doubts over the last few months. He has answered all of my questions without any delays. Frankly I haven’t seen a more approachable person than him in this TW world.

I did ask him.

It’s a problem because if you use your TW with node.js, tiddlydesktop, or Bob, they all want to serve up files from the “files” subdirectory. So “files” is the normative position in the world of TW. If you only use stand-alone TW files, then it’s fine to use whatever directory you want.

What did he meant in this reply. Is it possible to change the save folder from media to files

Hi Tones
the plugin can be downloaded from GitHub - buggyj/tiddlyclip-plugin: tw plugin for tiddlyclip. I have updated the info to include the instructions to get the plugin.

As arunnbabu says, at present savemedia put files it creates into a subdirectory called ‘media’ relative to where the tiddlywiki is. It is hardcoded into a macro here:

For now you could just edit this tiddler to change this.
I could perhaps hae a config tiddler containing the name of the subdir, this would allow the subdir name to be more easily changed.

2 Likes

Thanks @buggyj I have always felt TiddlyClip was a paretner of TiddlyWiki and I am returning to it know because of research I need to do on the internet and a desire to keep my workflow’s simple.

At present the documentation on tiddlyspot is way out of date. There are some updated details at Discussions · buggyj/tiddlyclip-plugin · GitHub but there remains some other abilities that have not been discussed.

1 Like

I am interested to know more about those features

I will explain some additional features on the discussions on github, when I have some time.

I feel like there’s a lot of stuff there, hidden under the hood. You can copy the clipboard, use user macros, use extensive if-this logic, copy as text, copy as html, get user input, apply tags on the fly, a special syntax for long configuration rules, save snaps to local directories, create external images from browser file directories. There is also a note text field which I assume gets exposed somewhere but haven’t figured out how – this would let you append your own long-length note to something you were clipping. The problem is, it takes so much research every time I want to set up a configuration rule.

I have been slowing adding features that I find useful over the last 7 years. Not many people seemed to be using Tiddlyclip so I did not prioritize updating the documentation.

There is some info on the note box here:

So much more features have been added (may be I got know about them recently only) to tiddlyclip after the OP was created. I will make another post soon to explain how I am using tiddlyclip now. If you are not using tiddlyclip, you are missing so much clipping fun :slightly_smiling_face: