How can Journal Book be modified to show a Calendar if a Month is clicked

@Mohammad

Thank you for this code. It finally dawned on me, the convenience of your 3D structure.

At present when I click on the month it shows a string of entries.

May I ask how do I modify this code so that when I click on the month, it first shows a (month) calendar at the top of the string of entries, but inside each calendar square (in addition to the day number) is a phrase for that day (the contents of a field named “synopsis” in any tiddler dated that day) (two phrases would show in the square if there were two tiddlers dated that day) and the phrase itself turned into a link which pulls up the tiddler the phrase was retrieved from.

This way I could see at a glance an outline of everything that happened that month before choosing to read more in-depth.

The calendar acting as a sort of TOC for the month but with a summary phrase(s) to jog the memory instead of just a numeral in the square.

Is this possible?

@Sapphireslinger,

All things are possible!

I worry that asking this question to @Mohammad might feel a bit like “No good deed goes unpunished” :rofl:

It’s true that Mohammad may have some relevant design work already invested in the pikaday interface (and maybe other things I’m not aware of), but that’s a simple box-per-date interface…

The layout work required for a custom monthly calendar view is its own thing. See, for example:
BJ Tools — a collection of TW related projects (and relatedly 2019 Calendar — a tabbed picture calendar) Something close to showing links for each entry within a day is here (though it’s not a preview — just one horizontal line per entry, each offering a popup): TW Calendar — Tiddlywiki Calendar Widget and Page Layout displaying tiddlers on calendar and agenda, based on created, modified, startDate and endDate fields on tiddlers. (in calendar area choose 月 at upper right to see month-view, navigate back to 12th of March 2024 ( 2024年3月) to see lines for entries on that day, which open in pop-up).

And there’s lots of great calendar-layout stuff by @EricShulman here: TiddlyTools for TW5 v5.3.3 — Small Tools for Big Ideas!™

After seeing what you like, if nothing is exactly what you need, this might be a good moment for developing a “roll-your-own” variation, and asking for help from folks here to fill in where you get stumped…

Only you will know how much screen real-estate your summary phrases tend to need, how much you want to abbreviate them or whether to let the date-boxes expand vertically to show them at full length, whether you want tiddler previews to display more on hover, whether you want to color-code days like a heat-map, or have a badge showing how many tiddlers there are, whether you want the month in a sidebar (so entries would open in the main storyriver without scrolling away from calendar), or some other way of navigating, whether you need a mobile-responsive (or otherwise screen-size respnosive) layout…

It sounds exciting, and maybe others will chime in.

And by coincidence, just today another neat calendar interface that you may be able to adapt: https://eventcalendar.tiddlyhost.com/

@Springer

I worry that asking this question to @Mohammad might feel a bit like “No good deed goes unpunished”

I understand and agree. Thank you so much for the leads and ideas!

I will try to get a calendar working before considering how to make it appear in the journal automatically.

I hope my reply wasn’t discouraging! Everyone has the first bump-in-the-road moment where the problem “nothing I’ve seen is exactly what I want…” becomes the opportunity “I can tinker with this thing!” :smiley: As someone who learned from the ground up, bit by bit, I’m happy to help solve problems along the way if I can.

@Mohammad I found the calendar I want to use and I even found how to get it to appear in the journal-book. I hope this is the right place to add it in the journal-book/macros tiddler. The positioning looks all right:

\define vertical-tab()
<div class="kk-jb-container">
<$vars currentMonth={{{[<stateTid>get[month]] :else[subfilter<monthFilter>first[]] }}} >
<aside><<monthList>></aside>
<article>
<<newdiary "2024" "5" >><<journal-list-monthly>>
</article>
</$vars>
</div>
\end

However that macro <<newdiary "2024" "5" >> will not change according to whichever month the calendar appears in so I changed it to <$macrocall $name="newdiary" year=<<year>> month=<<month>> /> But that is not responsive either. It still shows May 2024 no matter what month or year. Not sure what to do. I know you are very busy with Shiraz. If you don’t have time, don’t worry about it.

Also is this thread the correct place to post this? Or should I delete it and put it in a new thread titled “Putting a calendar in Mohammad’s journal-book”?

@Sapphireslinger
Sorry for not being of any help, as I wrote this around two years ago! I also not familiar with newdiary macro and Calendar you use. So, I cannot be of much help here!

The JSON I provided is an example of how to use a layout for displaying items versus category in a vertical tab. So, you can keep the layout and decide what you want to display!

OK, that’s all right!

In case anybody else knows the answer to this I’ll post the whole contents of the journal/book macro tiddler below.

I think it’s the <<year>> and <<month>> in the <$macrocall $name="newdiary" year=<<year>> month=<<month>> /> that I’m writing wrong:

\define stateTid()    xx$:/state/thinkup/journal-book
\define yearFilter()  [tag[Journal]get[journal-date]format:date[YYYY]unique[]sort[]]
\define monthFilter() [tag[Journal]get[journal-date]prefix{$(stateTid)$!!year}format:date[YYYY0MM]unique[]sort[]]

\define monthList()
<$list filter=<<monthFilter>> variable=month>
<$button class="tc-btn-invisible tc-tiddlylink" 
         setTitle=<<stateTid>> setField="month" setTo=<<month>> 
         style={{{ [<currentMonth>match<month>then[color:red;]] }}} >
  <$text text={{{ [<month>addsuffix[151200]format:date[MMM]] }}} />
</$button><br/>
</$list>
\end

\define vertical-tab()
<div class="kk-jb-container">
<$vars currentMonth={{{[<stateTid>get[month]] :else[subfilter<monthFilter>first[]] }}} >
<aside><<monthList>></aside>
<article>
<$macrocall $name="newdiary" year=<<year>> month=<<month>> /><<journal-list-monthly>>
</article>
</$vars>
</div>
\end

\define journal-list-monthly()
<$vars month= {{{ [<stateTid>get[month]] }}} >

<b><$text text={{{ [<month>addsuffix[151200]format:date[MMM YYYY]]}}} /></b>

<$list filter="[tag[Journal]] :filter[get[journal-date]prefix<month>] :and[sort[journal-date]]" template="journal-book/template">

</$vars>
\end

<!-- Create UI -->

\define yearSelectAction() 
<$action-setfield $tiddler=<<stateTid>> $field=year  $value=<<year>> />
<$action-setfield $tiddler=<<stateTid>> $field=month $value={{{ [subfilter<monthFilter>first[]] }}}/>
\end

\define select-year()
<$vars currentYear={{{ [<stateTid>get[year]] :else[subfilter<yearFilter>first[]] }}} >
<$list filter=<<yearFilter>> variable=year>
<$button class="tc-btn-invisible tc-tiddlylink" 
         actions=<<yearSelectAction>>
         style={{{ [<year>match<currentYear>then[color:red;]] }}}
>
  <$text text=<<year>>/>
</$button>
</$list>
</$vars>

\end

\define initialize()
<$button> initialize
<$action-setfield $tiddler=<<stateTid>> $field=year  $value= {{{ [subfilter<yearFilter>first[]] }}}/>
<$action-setfield $tiddler=<<stateTid>> $field=month $value={{{ [subfilter<monthFilter>first[]] }}}/>
</$button>
\end

\define journal-book()
<$list filter="[<stateTid>get[year]]" variable=null emptyMessage=<<initialize>> >

<<select-year>><<vertical-tab>>
</$list>
\end

The macro I’m calling is:

\define diarydets(i,tiddlerDate,rawDate,tags)
$i$<br>
 <$list filter ="[tag[Journal]search:journal-date[$rawDate$]!is[system]]">{{!!journal-day-summary}}</$list>
\end
1 Like

This is the change for macro, I think…

<$vars year= {{{ [<stateTid>get[year]] }}} >
<$vars month= {{{ [<stateTid>get[month]removeprefix<year>removeprefix[0]] }}} >

<$macrocall $name="newdiary" year=<<year>> month=<<month>> />

</$vars></$vars>
\end

may be this

<$vars year= {{{ [<stateTid>get[year]] }}} >
<$vars month= {{{ [<stateTid>get[month]removeprefix<year>trim:prefix[0]] }}} >

<$macrocall $name="newdiary" year=<<year>> month=<<month>> />

</$vars></$vars>
\end

@buggyj Thank you so much! I didn’t see this until recently but it works perfectly!