Hide most of features for new users

Today I recommend TidGi to my girlfriend.

After install and open, the first thing she did is type something on the initial tiddler, not noticing there is a"New tiddler" button on the page control buttons area.

She said there are too many buttons out there. So this get me think about although TidGI try to pack enough features to be as strong as Notion and Obsidian, but it gives user complicity. Some user just want a Bear note https://bear.app/ , as simple as only “add note” and note list.

The solution maybe continue the template list project Choosing starting Template · Issue #31 · donmor/Tiddloid · GitHub to provide some user with minimal edition.

2 Likes

Same experience here. It’s quite a UX problem, but I have hope that we’ll figure out some flow or some sort of tiered editions that can help onboard new users. Aluta continua.

1 Like

Maybe we can provide “simple mode” layout, that looks like Bear note or Evernote, but still have page control buttons and view control buttons. That is what I want to discuss in Is there a fullscreen edit view mode or layout?

And user can switch back to “default” layout at any time.

I feel like, except for the sidebar, TW is pretty bare-bones (bear bones ?) already. The catch is that you need the sidebar open to make a new tiddler! There needs to be a new tiddler button somewhere, possibly in a floating bubble as is common in many apps these days.

Dear M. Bear,

The honey is maybe as IN you say …

To bear the bare-bones one needs (mostly) an expeditus to break 'dem bones. Often visible buttons.

No buttons to do anything would be simply a blank canvas without clues.

I think the OP interesting. BUT what is in and what is out? (for the case)?

Just riffing
TT

1 Like

The menu bar plugin is one way to get buttons available without the sidebar.

All, look at the read only wiki conversations for one form of simplified interfaces.

1 Like