Helpful tool for wiki designers - Open existing tiddlers in search input

Folks,

[Edited] I don’t mind that my solution has proven to be redundant thanks to @saqimtiaz and @tw-FRed all you need to do after pasting a tiddler title into search is hit Enter to open, ctrl-enter to open in edit mode.

• ctrl-enter - This is important if a tiddler is broken and you want to go direct to edit if opening/viewing it breaks your wiki.
  • In my defence the icon I created allows you to click to open, ctrl-click to edit, if you like using the mouse more and It only appears when the tiddler exists. That is makes it clear.

Something that annoys me is when I have a system tiddler title, I found on TiddlyWiki.com or here in talk.tiddlywiki.org, that I want to view edit or clone in my own wiki there are a number of steps.

This is an everyday issue, multiple times a day for me so I made this “Alpha version” support tool;

open-existing-in-search.json (2.1 KB)

What does it do?

• If you enter or paste a title into the sidebar search and it represents an existing tiddler, including system tiddlers,
  • an icon appears in the Page Controls which you can click to open the named tiddler or ctrl-click to open it for edit.

Do you think this should be a core button, let us know.

I have a bookmarklet that allows me to add it to any wiki with a click from my Bookmarks, but have not discovered how to simply distribute bookmarklets

1 Like

Trying this with $:/plugins/tiddlywiki/menubar/items/sidebar , I think it will be better to just show it in the “Title matches”? Instead of showing a page button.

This does annoy me sometimes, when I already know the exact name of system tiddler, still have to pay many steps to reach it.

Maybe we need to know the design decision here @jeremyruston made many years ago.

Enter the title into the search bar, press Enter and it opens in the story.

I missed that.

Sure, but in this case it is hands off the core tiddlers.

Actually this button is a single item extracted from a set of tools I made called “Advanced Search Indicators” Which appear above the search fields, with all kinds of info about the string within the search. However it is overkill for many applications, especially when I am just searching tiddlywiki.com for system tiddler info.

But as Maxwell Smart would have said “the old ‘enter key trick’, is a good one 99”

For example it detects;

• Existing tiddlers
  • Tiddlers with the strings prefix/suffix
  • A button that opens an advanced search filter with a lot more info and buttons to act on the items listed
    • Especially if search contains a filter
  • Open tiddler in new window
  • Provide a dropdown if the tiddler is also a tag
  • Allow one to clone the tiddler
  • I was working on a way to provide a macro to;
    • Find its definition
    • display it in a modal

And, at least with Firefox and Linux, ctrl+enter will open it in edit mode.

Fred

1 Like