In the editor toolbar we have the Link icon defined in $:/core/ui/EditorToolbar/link and its dropdown $:/core/ui/EditorToolbar/link-dropdown
- This is a very useful tool I often forget to make use of, but I suggest anyone reading this to revisit it.
- I plan soon to develop some new Editor toolbar buttons based on this one, som examples below Futures.
- But before that I realised an improvement to the existing one would be if the search string could be populated with the text string selected in the editor.
I raise this here because to be honest, I have not mastered the
$keyboard widget yet and find reading the code in $:/core/ui/EditorToolbar/link-dropdown very difficult.
- In this current journey I have discovered some gaps in the documentation which could be linking more explicitly the
As far as I can see it may just be a matter of leveraging the the following action to store the selection in the “tiddler” or “storeTitle” parameter;
<$action-sendmessage $message="tm-edit-text-operation" $param="save-selection" tiddler="tiddlername" field="fieldname" />
- Any help greatly appreciated
- This may be a trivial improvement that deserves addition to the core
My ideas of new Editor toolbar buttons based on link button include;
- link Buttons with a subfilter applied to the search
- search to insert link to tags only
- search only tiddlers tagged with the current one, or a toc from here
- I may leverage the kin filter of @bimlas here to make this easy
- Search only those active items, items not (done or archived)
- A search where the result is listed in a custom order like mode recently used
- Alternative insertions of the found result eg in addition to tiddler links
- Transclude the found tiddler title
- Insert a macro where the title is the first parameter
- others as yet unimagined
To do this being able to “prime the link search” with the selection in the editor will add a lot of functionality to these future Editor toolbar buttons. Hence this post.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.