[Help] Using an image as a background for every tiddler, no tag needed

Is it possible to use an image much in the same way as how you can use one as the page-background, where it will keep pasting it as the tiddler gets longer? I’m currently theming my notebook as a leather bound journal with handwritten text, and would like to make the tiddlers look as if they are weathered paper, but I’m not sure how to go about that.

Placing the following in a tiddler tagged stylesheet can set the background color

.tc-tiddler-frame { background-color: #FDFD96; }

Alter this to a background image, but to a tiddler?

background-image: url("paper.gif");

hm, can’t seem to get it to work.

does this method not accept .jfif images?

Try this syntax:

background-image:url(<$macrocall $name="datauri" title="paper.jfif" $output="text/plain"/>);

where “paper.jfif” is the title of a tiddler with either
a) a text field containing base64-encoded binary image data, or
b) a _canonical_uri field containing the relative path to an external image file

ref: https://tiddlywiki.com/#ExternalImages

-e

2 Likes

would you happen to know how I can convert it to base64? I remember reading a google groups discussion using something to do it but having trouble finding it again

EDIT: nevermind, I found one that worked.

EDIT 2: I might be applying this incorrectly, but this would be placed in a stylesheet as,

.tc-tiddler-body {
  background-image:url(<$macrocall $name="datauri" title="paper.jfif" $output="text/plain"/>);
}

correct? I’m looking at it in inspect and I’ve also tried tc-tiddler-frame tc-tiddler-view-frame tc-tiddler-exists to no result

EDIT 3: Found the right way to do it! (sort of)

.tc-story-river .tc-tiddler-view-frame {
  background:url(<<datauri "PageTemplate.jfif">>) !important;
}

no base64 encoding needed! i just needed to change it from static stylesheet (text/css) to (text/vnd.tiddlywiki) !