Happy personal news

Hi all,

I normally don’t post information about my personal life here, but I want to share an important health-related milestone.

Five years ago, in late-August of 2018, after an ultrasound scan for a suspected kidney stone, I was diagnosed with cancer.

On September 13th, 2018 I underwent surgery to remove a 4.5cm tumor, which was sent to the pathology lab, where they determined it was a “Stage 1 seminoma”. A month later, I began chemotherapy (carboplatin) to improve the odds that they got it all, and since January, 2019 I have been in remission, with regular monitoring (blood tests and CT scans) to check for any recurrence.

I’m very happy to report that as of TODAY, September 13th 2023, I have now been cancer-free for 5 years, and my treatment status has been officially revised from “in remission” to “cured”. My oncologist says that I am no longer a “cancer patient”… but instead I can say that I am a “cancer survivor”. YAY!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask… I don’t mind.

-e

35 Likes

I don’t often use the word, since it’s used for almost anything these says:

That’s AWESOME news, Eric.

2 Likes

Amazing news Eric and very happy to hear it!

Serendipitously, just today a close family member received the very same news after undergoing treatment for lung cancer five years ago.

5 Likes

Fantastic - well done! You have been so generous and such a technical support to others on this forum, good karma it seems

1 Like

Hi Eric that is terrific news that we are all very glad to hear, thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Great news!

Thankfully I have just regular kidney cysts, which are fairly common. Biggest is 6cm. I have at least 4 of them.

1 Like

That is fantastic news, Eric! Thanks for sharing. Thanks be to God.

1 Like

That’s great news. It’s nice to hear a survivor story about cancer every once in a while! :slight_smile:
Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I’m so glad to hear! Thank you for all you do here, and keep on beating the cancer! Thank you for sharing with us.

1 Like

Wonderful news, Eric!

1 Like

Hi Eric,

This is really amazing news. Thank you for letting us know.
I am very happy to hear that and I am sure every member of TW forum is happy now!

2 Likes

That is absolutely the best news I have had today !! Thanks for sharing this.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your good news. It’s not ‘lucky for you’ but a great encoragement for others gven a life changing diagnosis.

Very good to hear that.

Glad to hear this good news, it’s not often enough the case with cancer.
Thanks for sharing!

Fred

This is great to hear @EricShulman I expect we must be greatful to modern medicine, just as we are greatful for your amazing contributions to this community :smiley:

Fantastic news, thanks for sharing!

Most excellent, Eric. Glad to hear it, and damned glad you’re still with us.

Best news I’ve heard all day! Thanks for sharing!

I am the clinical and informatics lead responsible for lung cancer screening for a major hospital system, and, to a lesser extent, all types cancer screening. It is so gratifying to know that catching it early enough to effect a cure (“downstaging”) does work (although not often enough).

Eric, I literally save all your posts for learning purposes (in TW5, of course). I am very pleased to hear your news!

1 Like