Good Practice to Share TiddlyWiki Solutions and Tools

I love the methodology used by @EricShulman in https://tiddlytools.com/ for developing and sharing TiddlyWiki tools and solutions.

As an example see his recent answer to a question here: Show a partial list with an expandable "more" section - #2 by EricShulman

• The solution is stored in a TiddlyWiki online, so you can give a try before using in your own TiddyWiki
  • The solution uses namespace, so finding all parts of solution is rather easy
  • The solution contains the WikiText script in a dedicated tiddler
  • The solution has description and examples in the Info tiddler
  • The solution has a dedicated customized button to download it and reuse in your own wiki. The button also acts as a drag and drop handle, so you can directly import the solution to your wiki without downloanding

Everything is very clear.

Info (help/doc) tiddler

Download button

EDITED: This button also can be used as drag and a drop handle to directly import the solution to your wiki without downloading

Description and examples

3 Likes

Use namespace (there is a separate thread by @TW_Tones on using name space) is a very effective method when you distribute a bunch of tiddlers as a solution!

Namespace are also great concept in note taking in TiddlyWiki.

@telumire also has developed a set of very useful tools and put them online here

TiddlyTweaks — Small tweaks for TiddlyWiki (telumire.be)

It also uses namespace and reusing them is easy!

Search and find and drag and drop button for each solution is provided.

1 Like

Note that the TiddlyTools “download” buttons can also be used as drag-and-drop to directly install the listed tiddlers into another TiddlyWiki, without actually downloading to a file.

1 Like

Right! And I think it good you make / underline that point.

As a person who isn’t a programmer—but often needs to get stuff done in TW—I find @EricShulman’s approach has a completeness that means I can often work out what to do without further assist for the things he has coverage upon.

G’day, TT

2 Likes

Agreed, and one more point to add to your list of great features of Eric’s technique:

• The solution is written cleanly and clearly; less advanced users can not only use it, but also learn from it.

As the one who started the example thread discussed, I’d like to note that both @Charlie_Veniot and @TW_Tones gave useful answers that in some cases would help solve similar questions. @EricShulman’s answer is a drop-in solution for the problem, but if you want something different, it offers a variety of related results and has code clean enough to help me build my own if I want something different. The next release of my Periodic Table will include a version of this; I’m not sure if I will use Eric’s version or a custom one with slightly different behavior. Whatever I choose, I know I will owe a great debt to Eric’s strongly pedagogical approach.

3 Likes