Giscus for TiddlyWiki

Hi all,

We can now have GitHub discussions inside TiddlyWiki! Here’s a working demo for you to try out:

https://abesamma.github.io/giscus-for-tiddlywiki-demo

The setup requires a small bit of work copying and pasting some generated details from Giscus, but it doesn’t take more than a couple of seconds and once you save your wiki, you’re off to the races.

This is an early working version and some breaking changes may come in the next few days so be advised. Originally I had wanted to make the entire thing configurable from inside TiddlyWiki but this proved to be difficult for many different reasons hence the present setup workflow.

Currently you can comment under non system tiddlers after signing in. Over at GitHub, discussions are labeled with the tiddler title and there’s a backlink to the wiki. Comments are welcomed inside the wiki of course!

PS: the demo does not need any setting up from you. Just scroll to the bottom of the first tiddler you see and start commenting away.

6 Likes

Another example here Use Github Discussion on tiddlywiki

1 Like

Thanks. I missed this one @linonetwo. I had just checked the links aggregator to see if anyone had worked on this previously. I had a lot of desirable features in mind that had to be scaled down after reading Giscus’ docs.

Ciao Abraham,

IMO, this is a great practical step in integration that might help a lot with dev. work in a commune framework.

But, I do wonder how you’d get it more attention and testing? To get it used.

Maybe, TW discussion is still very fragmented and it is (too) easy to pass over interesting innovations? Dunno.

I was struck that you have gotten so little feedback so far.
Man, you did it for us!

I hope you’ll get more comments yet.

Just my comments
TT

Appreciate all the love and support. Quite frankly I am not too surprised tbh because I’m sure we’re all a tad bit overwhelmed by the amount of content being produced in here. I myself feel like I’ve missed a GREAT deal in the last couple of weeks and am just going through all of it. The feedback will trickle in. Human attention is a limited resource after all :wink:.

Moreover, as mentioned by others, this is a dev oriented tool so it may not interest many non dev users which is alright. It serves my purpose first and foremost and I can only hope it serves someone else’s in the community as well.

Cheers!

2 Likes