GettingStarted - Node.js: suggested documentation tweak

GettingStarted - Node.js

After a sudo apt-get install nodejs, one may need to follow that up with a sudo apt-get install npm

should also changed to : sudo apt install nodejs

We should probably also recommend to use the nodejs LTS version to build TiddlyWiki. This will give us a better time-frame for updating node-related documentation.

Silly question. I’ve always had the habit of using “apt-get”, regardless of what I’m installing on Linux.

Why would we want to just use “apt” ?

It’s more user friendly and has better output.

See: APT vs APT-GET: What's the Difference?

That is pretty awesome. Thanks!

More descriptive output, less verbose command. Feels like a rare thing…

Installing Tiddlywiki using node.js documentation should be elaborated and split into 4 parts.

1. Mac - instructions for installation through homebrew
  2. Linux. This itself need be split into subsections. apt is package manager in debian based systems only. Tiddlywiki can be installed in arch based systems directly from Pacman. If you type “pacman -S tiddlywiki”, it will install node js automatically. If fedora and open-bsd systems can also be mentioned, that ought to cover every distro in the top 20 by distowatch.
  3. Windows - Step by step instructions aimed at newbies
  4. Termux. - Already there, just link it.

My point is, it might be better to categorise the documentation the way end user might search for it.

Installing TiddlyWiki on Node.js.json (2.2 KB)

Here’s my version with several suggested updates. I think there’s a limit to how much we should have to explain someone else’s software. I expect to do a PR sometime in the next 4 hours or so.

1 Like