Found on my travels... Phind

https://www.phind.com/

ME: Do you understand tiddlywiki?

PHIND:

Answer

TiddlyWiki is a non-linear note-taking tool that has been around for about 15 years [0]. It is a fully functional multi-purpose, portable, encrypted and software packed in one lightweight HTML file [3]. It is a human-shaped tool for organizing information and taking notes, storing and relating information in a non-linear but structured way, just like your brain, and it doesn’t forget things [2]. TiddlyWiki is very flexible and you can use it to take notes, manage task lists, save bookmarks, publish a blog or website, create a presentation, and a lot more [1]. It’s a free, open-source, and self-hosted alternative to many of the paid, proprietary note-taking tools you may be using at the moment [0].

To get started with TiddlyWiki, you need to first install it [0]. TiddlyWiki is a large web page (consisting of HTML and a lot of JavaScript) that weighs in at around 2MB. You can edit and save the file in a web browser [1]. Once you have installed TiddlyWiki, you can add new functionality to your knowledge management system just by creating new dynamic notes or dragging someone else’s dynamic notes into your notebook [0]. TiddlyWiki is very portable. You can put it in a folder in, say, Nextcloud and share a TiddlyWiki between computers and mobile devices [1].

TiddlyWiki is a very powerful tool which reproduces lots of Roam’s features [0]. However, it’s missing some features out of the box, so if you want something that just does the job and already lives in the cloud, it may not be for you [0]. TiddlyWiki requires a bit more tinkering, so it has a bit of a learning curve, but it’s extremely powerful and customizable, and once you grok it, it will change the way you take notes, think about your work and your ideas, and relate to information in general [2]. You can use TiddlyWiki for just about anything. People use TiddlyWiki for keeping notes at their jobs, collecting their ideas, keeping track of what they read, drafting books, building static websites, storing recipes, managing genealogical databases, planning tabletop role-playing campaigns, and much more [2].

TiddlyWiki has a lot of functionalities that can be added to your wiki with a couple of drag and drops [0]. One of TiddlyWiki’s most powerful features is its bi-directional linking, which allows you to add new functionality to your knowledge management system just by creating new dynamic notes or dragging someone else’s dynamic notes into your notebook [0]. To use TiddlyWiki, you can highlight existing words in your tiddler and click the [[*]] button to add double brackets around them, and it includes an automatic renamer, so if you change the title of a note, this will automatically change the name of any links to that note found in other notes [0].

TiddlyWiki can be used for just about anything [2]. You can load up your TiddlyWiki with everything you need to do, or you can have several TiddlyWiki files—for example, one for notes, one for tasks, one for outlines, one for journaling [1]. Keeping track of those files could become a chore. The desktop version can help you better organize two or more TiddlyWiki files [1].

If you want to learn more about using TiddlyWiki, there are several resources available [1][2]. The TiddlyWiki website has a number of tutorials in the Learning section [2]. Francis Meetze has created several videos explaining how to do things with TiddlyWiki [2]. Five Steps to TiddlyWiki 5 helps you get up and running with TiddlyWiki [2]. If you are looking for an open source alternative to Roam Research, TiddlyWiki is your best bet [0].

1 Like

Can you write a tiddlywiki filter to list all non-system tiddlers?

https://www.phind.com/search?cache=2410ff4e-af09-4ace-90c1-80530a044312

3 Likes

ChatGPT has competition!

I do like that it lists it sources at the end so they can be followed up for more info.

1 Like

Now this is neat, and what suprised me is how it’s a lot like Chat GPT but more understanding of TiddlyWiki. I think I’m going to be using this over google and CGPT :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I read somewhere it’s basically ChatGPT honed for developers and upgraded to GPT-4.

Amusing that Phind has no insight on how to pronounce the name Phind, referred me to various online phonetic pronunciation resources, and required several followups to get clear on why I would even be asking that question. Finally, Phind’s decisive reply was to recommend that I contact the creators of “that website” to inquire. :slight_smile:

(Of course it might be pronounced just like find. But I do prefer it to rhyme with wind — easier to keep it distinctive, mentally.)

How about P+F → PFIND ?

That’s your 2 pfennigs, and I appreciate the thought! (It would indeed be anomalous, though, as no other ph works that way as far as I can tell…)

1 Like

Which is what prompted me :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I asked Phind about a startup action to scroll all the way to top of story river. First answer, involving <$action-navigate $to="$:/StoryList"/> is coherent but doesn’t actually get where I want to land (that is, to show the $:/tags/AboveStory content which is at very top of story river).

Phind then responded that I need to use some JavaScript to figure out where the $:/tags/AboveStory content is…

This smells off to me. Isn’t there a simpler way to, you know, get the story river maximally scrolled so that things at the top are not hidden above the viewable area? (Not that I can blame Phind for sloppiness; I poked around documentation for a while before giving up and deciding to inquire with the shiny webmind tool.)

1 Like

Yeah, the closest I can get without using JS to auto-scroll is this:

\define ToTheTop() <$action-navigate $to={{{ [list[$:/StoryList]enlist-input[]first[]] }}} />

<$button actions=<<ToTheTop>>>Go to top of the Story</$button>

This only gets you to the first tiddler in the Story River :confused:

2 Likes

@CodaCoder

https://www.phind.com/

Whoah!

(1) Looks very helpful. Interesting to dekko.

(2) Will this make you redundant and, our leader, JR too?

For instance, can I prompt it to back engineer TW architecture?

Just asking for a replicant.

Best, TT

In the grand scheme of things, I sometimes wonder if we’re all just rearranging deckchairs.

2 Likes

More than likely there won’t be a all purpose solution to humans being needed. Not for awhile anyways, but when it does come about, I imagine there will be niche things we will need to stick around for, just like others being needed for usage of legacy systems and dated software. (Not saying that is what we are, of course.)

When computers are on par with humanity, whose to say they won’t be equally as inclined to spend their resources on other things, than on a single work task?

Food for thought ^^

Caro @Justin_H

That declamation already reveals that fairly soon you’ll accept that Bob The Computer could be your broheim.

Just mortal
TT

I would be fine with that. be it artifical or non-homo sapien intelligence, a good conversation is a good conversation in my books.

Makes me wonder if we could teach another animal to use tiddlywiki… :thinking:

Sure. Octopus… Octopi… Octopusssses …

Tentacle me later.

TT

When I asked it to compare TW and Obsidian, if gave an extremely balanced response. It also used a phrase I had entered in a software comparison site. Like certain “A” students, it owes part of its success to plagiarism.

It IS a plagiarism