Flashcards on PDF (Grok style)

I want to take flashcards on a pdf textbook and I am looking for the best approach to do so.

Those that read Grok TW can appreciate that whenever you don’t remember the answer of a flashcard just with one click you can get the ebook source info and context in which the flashcard was written (required feature).

Sure I could copy sections of the pdf and paste them into tiddlers building a similar structure as Grok TW, but that seems time consuming and tedious…

So ideas and alternative approaches are welcome :slight_smile:

I have tried this pdf macro by @telumire Open tiddler containing pdf (canonical_uri) at specific page? aka. Passing info to opening tiddler - #4 by telumire

It will create a button which when clicked takes to the corresponding page in the pdf.

And I used tiddlyclip pdf sub plug in to clip from pdf…buggyj/tiddlyclip-plugin · Discussions · GitHub .Search this GitHub discussion for pdf. I can provide the configuration I use of you are interested.

3 Likes

it is possible to open pdfs at sections (the links can be copied from the pdf document outline in firefox, or tiddlyclip can create these tiddlers)

Thanks for the insights, I post the solution I will stick with in case someone finds it useful.

Requirements:

1. Avoid to convert PDFs to Tiddlers format.
  2. Take flashcards that link to PDFs specific page in wich context is relevant.

Steps:

1. host the pdf so is reachable via a public url, for example (https://share-eric.eu/fileadmin/user_upload/SHARE_Working_Paper/SHARE_WP_87-2023.pdf)
  2. create flashcards on tiddlywiki using Tiddlyremember pluggin(notice that #page is used to locate the relevant PDF section):

1. Do reviews on Anki and acces “context” links when you need more context.

video on how the reviewing flashcards process looks like on iPhone:
optim3