Field values and character formatting

That’s not a big problem. There is an link automatic link at your post, that let’s me see my post.

… The better way is, to quote the relevant text you reply to. Replies can also be expanded, to see the whole post.

To go back to your OP. It should be relatively simple to replace the tiddler title in the view template with a rendered name. There could be an option, to switch between the 2 representations. 1 rendered, 1 “raw”.

With the possibilities we have now with v5.2.1, that should be possible without modifying the core UI. So the changes should be “forward compatible”.

I think for the beginning the only thing to sort out needs to be “search ability”. IMO this needs some testing from your side. … Except, if you have a testcase wiki, with some real tiddlers, we could play with.

If you don’t have an easy way to publish a wiki, you could use tiddlyhost.com, to create such a test-wiki.

I’m just getting to grips with this… managed to do it this time!

1 Like

This would make sense! Maybe something I can work towards but at present my skills are rather limited. More to think about and tinker with…

Okay, I generally follow what you mean but I don’t, currently, know how to do this (I’m not asking for you/anyone to do this - see below).

I don’t have a wiki that I could share at present… I was really just thinking about possibilities and trying things out with a few test tiddlers. It’s still really early days and I thought I’d ask a few questions to try to clarify my understanding (and also to try to learn how to use Discourse as I’ve found doing more than just lurking a bit daunting).

I hope it’s okay to quote from different posts… I’ve installed your uni-link plugin and had some success with it so that’s positive. I’m still a little confused about some aspects (the Alias options, for example) but I’m working through things and I’m getting it straight in my mind.

I hadn’t fully appreciated this aspect of searching. I will take a look at your Field Search plugin and also @Mohammad’s Advanced Search in Fields plugin.

Ant,

In case it’s helpful for poking around, I have tiddlers for books, where the author is not italicized but the title is, and I want the tiddlers to display as short forms of Author, Title (year). So I’m displaying the caption field instead of the title, on both the sidebar lists and the ViewTemplate. Check it out if you like:

https://springerspandrel.github.io/tw/biblio-demo

Looks good… now I just need to work out how the caption field is displayed rather than the title… hopefully I can work it out so don’t tell me!

Many thanks.

1 Like

I guess I need to follow the method outlined here: Displaying the caption instead of title in TW 5.2.1 using the new cascade filters

@Ant
So no misunderstanding, when you say “title” are you referring to every occurrence of the title links, wherever they appear, or do you perhaps only mean what is displayed in enlarged letters at top of every tiddler?

I’m now getting a little confused… but I think I mean what’s displayed at the top of every tiddler.

Having now tried this out, I’m just getting the caption displayed, instead of the title, but with the markup showing rather than the effect of the markup. I also thought I could be clever and include a number of fields in the caption with {{!!field1}} {{!!field2}} etc. but that doesn’t work either. I guess I’m doing it wrong but I’m weary and my bed is calling… I’ll have to think about this later…

Well, I was mostly asking so I didn’t misunderstand the discussion at hand. It is of course up to you what result you’re after.

One idea is to do your experimenting in a public dummy wiki, e.g on tiddlyhost.com so that others can see what exactly it is you’re doing. And once things are working, you just transfer the successful solutions to your real wiki.

Many thanks… I’ll look into this and try to sort something out… I may be some time…

Ant,

It’s possible to get the caption field to draw dynamically from other fields.

Check out this tiddler, and feel free to follow up with questions about how to get the links to behave as you like:

https://springerspandrel.github.io/tw/biblio-demo#Epictetus%2C%20Enchiridion

(Use the “show fields” control, on the sidebar [look for blinky-sun icon], to get quick edit-level access to fields, even in view mode.)

-Springer

That looks really helpful, thank you. I’ve had to take a little time out and have other stuff I have to do in the next few days so it’ll probably be the week-end before I get back to TW things.

I did manage to sort out something on tiddlyhost.com but I need to do more testing before I make it public.

Take care.

Apologies for the delay in picking this up again. As the thread implies, I’m interested in displaying a tiddler with a title/heading/whatever that can include character formatting.

I’ve created a couple of similar TWs on tiddlyhost.com using different methods that summarise my ‘progress’ so far:

1. https://compound-name.tiddlyhost.com/ – using the Uni-Link plugin
  2. https://compound-name2.tiddlyhost.com/ – using the method described at Displaying the caption instead of title in TW 5.2.1 using the new cascade filters

However, in my hands, neither are giving me the result I wanted… at a supermarket deli counter I once overheard an experienced member of staff say to a trainee “… you’re doing it wrong and using the wrong machine …”. I think this is apt and applies to me and my attempts with TiddlyWiki.

Anthony

In the second method, It doesn’t work because view widget has return format by default, plain text. You could change the format but the superscript for some reason don’t work with this widget.

I don’t know if you need use the caption field. But you can do it only using the iupac_name using cascade filters, with a filter like this:

[has[iupac_name]then[title_iupac]]

It would be similar to your tiddler named ++ Display caption instead of title ++ in tags and fields.
Where title_iupac would be the tiddler where you have how can be display the title of tiddlers with iupac_name field. You can give it a better name, but then you have to remember change it in the filter.

In the content of your title_iupac you could have something like:

<h2 class="tc-title">{{!!iupac_name}}</h2>

Ant,

On your own demo site, if I open your shadow ViewTemplate for title ($:/core/ui/ViewTemplate/title), I get the effect you desire if I override it with the content of this tiddler (from my biblio site with mixed styles):

https://springerspandrel.github.io/tw/biblio-demo#%24%3A%2Fcore%2Fui%2FViewTemplate%2Ftitle

You should thus be able to get it to work with a cloned, modified version in your ViewTemplate if you don’t want to override the core (and avoiding such direct overrides is indeed the better practice).

@Springer gave me the hint for how to easy fix your problem in the 2nd method. It’s just changing the view widget for the trasnclude widgets (you only need change the $view for $transclude).

Many thanks @Alvaro and @Springer for your input, I’ll investigate both suggestions and see how it pans out… I guess they both have their pros and cons.
Take care,
Anthony