Feature request: Larger month, day views and expanded CSS settings for tiddlytools calendar

Hi @EricShulman. Here are a few ideas / suggestions for the tiddlytools calendar.

1. It would be nice if there is a larger month view for the calendar like the apple or google calendar or the previous TW calendar implemenation by Inmysocks.

This could be in addition to the already existing smaller month view. There shall be a button to switch between the smaller and larger month view (which can be added to the already existing buttons row at the top of the calendar). Or this could be configured in the set up tiddler - user can select whichever view they like from the set up - smaller view or larger view.

2. Although there is an option to change the calendar month size, it’s not working perfectly. Sometimes the calendar overflows beyond the margins of the tiddler if we increase the percentage.

Check in this demo wiki -https://multicolumn-krystal.tiddlyhost.com/ and increase the calendar month size to 400%. Is there any way to make it fully fill the tiddler only, but not beyond it.

3. Also i would like to change the colours of the borders of the month, day , text color for the days, borders of the popup window which appear on clicking the days in the calendar - It would be better if these could be added in the set up tiddler.

4. Calendar foreground was not changing as expected. See the image and the demo wiki.

5. Day view (filling the entire tiddler) similar to the month view in addition to the current popup window and this shall be configureable in the set up tiddler.
    Here is an example from google calendar.

Thank you.

1 Like

Some of these ideas are difficult, some are easier. I will respond to each of them separately and post an update when (or if) changes are available…

1. It would be nice if there is a larger month view for the calendar like the apple or google calendar or the previous TW calendar implemenation by Inmysocks.

This is actually moderately difficult. This would require an entirely different variant of the showmonth() macro definition to produce a combination of the “month grid” and the “daily event list” display handling. In addition to rendering issues, there may be significant performance issues due to the amount of data that has to be processed. I need to think about this for a while.

1. Although there is an option to change the calendar month size, it’s not working perfectly. Sometimes the calendar overflows beyond the margins of the tiddler if we increase the percentage… Is there any way to make it fully fill the tiddler only, but not beyond it.

This is problematic. The percentage value for the month size is applied by using a CSS font-size:... attribute, which doesn’t lend itself to using “fill available” logic. As a temporary workaround, the only thing I can suggest is to wrap the calendar inside a <div style="overflow:auto;">...</div>, but this probably isn’t a satisfactory long term solution. While it will prevent the calendar display from overflowing the tiddler width, it doesn’t limit the width of the calendar, but simply adds a scrollbar if the calendar doesn’t completely fit inside the tiddler.

1. Also i would like to change the colours of the borders of the month, day , text color for the days, borders of the popup window which appear on clicking the days in the calendar - It would be better if these could be added in the set up tiddler.

The text color (and any extra styles) for the day numbers can currently be controlled by the “numbers” Calendar Styles setting (e.g., <<colour foreground>>;font-size:1.5em;font-weight:bold;)

The day box borders can be controlled by adding extra styles to the “foreground” Calendar Styles setting (e.g., <<colour dropdown-tab-background>>;border:1px solid blue;)

I will consider adding extra Calendar Styles settings for the month and day popup borders. I’ll let you know when/if I have an update for that.

1. Calendar foreground was not changing as expected. See the image and the demo wiki.

This was actually relatively easy! All of the color-related CSS Calendar styles settings (numbers, background, foreground, today, timers, alarms, journals, events, created, and modified) are now being wikified, so that use of the <<colour ...>> macro is now supported. Get the update here:

https://tiddlytools.com/timer.html#TiddlyTools%2FTime%2FCalendar

1. Day view (filling the entire tiddler) similar to the month view in addition to the current popup window and this shall be configureable in the set up tiddler.

This is perhaps the most complex item in your requests. In addition to being an completely separate kind of calendar rendering, listing items by time-of-day is problematic. While timers, alarms, created, and modified each have specific times associated with them, events only have a date (or date range if it is a timeline event). As with request (1) above (the “large month grid view”), I will need to think about this for a while before I make any attempts to implement something.

-e

1 Like

For month view, I just it want to be bigger and to fill the tiddler width. I dont want the Day view to list items by time-of-day. When we click on the each month in the year view, the corresponding month view will open. Similarly, I just need the Day view to open the on clicking the corresponding day in the month view and to fill the full width of the tiddler, instead of the popup happening now. I am not against popups, but want both options to be present which could be configured in the setup. No need of listing of items by the time in day view.

Thank you. This is working.

Thanks. This also works now.