Export Issue on Android Chrome

When I use the export button, regardless whether the file type chosen is CSV, JSON, or tid, a “.html” is appended to the downloaded file. This is a local TW opened on Chrome:

And this is tiddlywiki.com on Chrome:

There is no problem in tiddlywiki.com on Firefox. (Firefox can’t open local html files)

I’ve tried googling if Chrome has a known issue with json, csv, and unknown extensions like .tid, but I haven’t encountered any.

Does anyone else have this issue?

And before anyone says anything :laughing: NO I DO NOT use Chrome for managing my mobile TWs! I barely use Chrome. I am brainstorming a tiddlywiki project that necessitates exporting tiddlers on mobile. Most people use Chrome, and Chrome is a default application for most Android phones.

I’m able to save tid exports with extension tid. But I may have an older Chrome. They’re constantly cranking down your options on Chrome.

On mine, under settings/downloads, I have “Ask where to save files” turned on. Maybe that makes a difference. It gives you a chance to change the file name too.

Tid exports also worked for Kiwi (chrome-based) browser.

The first point to consider is mobile phones and browser software have increased security due to the continues onslaught of Malware. These selfish criminals have being undermining progress for decades at the same time as they innovate for “no good”.

The second point is, given the last point, check you app permissions and see if you can open them up. It is usually possible to search for solutions for popular software on mobiles around permissions, try specifying the Mobile OS version and get the latest browser app. The solution may be general to the phone or specific to the app.

Thanks for this catch. I explicitly set the file name as json/tid, but Chrome still wants to download it as HTML. I suppose it is a Chrome issue. I’ve checked out other possible browsers. I tried Opera and I’ll take your word for Kiwi. :wink:

Would it be helpful to mention this in the docs? When downloading plugins on mobile, we usually export the plugin tiddler from the demo site, and new users might be weirded out by Chrome’s behavior.

PS: I’m on Android 10.

Hello @sull-vitsy
I had a recent problem exporting files. Do you have any extensions in your browser. My problem was caused by ExpressVPN extension which added code to the tiddler. I believe Chrome exported the .tid file as .html
View the source of the tiddler and see if any code has been added.
If you have the ExpressVPN extension enabled, then disable it or remove it entirely.
Scot

Hi! Glad to know your issue’s fixed. My Chrome does not have any extentions. I peeked at an export of tiddlywiki.com’s HelloThere (.tid) and Community (.json) and I did not see any added code.

1 Like

We still need to Help @sull-vitsy solve this different case.

I will see if I can replicate it today

Android 11, Google Chrome, advanced search , filter, filter dropdown, Non Wiki text tiddlers, export, json saves file as tiddlers.json.html in downloads. If I then import it back it imports as a single tiddler and looks like it contains json.

• I had to give Chrome some permissions while doing the above.

If you use files to access the download folder to rename the .json.html file to .json you can then import it as a standard JSON.

I have not worked out how to stop chrome “downloading” exports as a file with html extension but I think it may be a chrome change and the tiddlywiki export button. I would look at building my own download using the jsontiddlers macro and ## WidgetMessage: tm-download-file to see if that is a work around.

If you have a link you can long touch and have some other choices with you download but this does not seem to help.

1 Like

I wonder if any of the Download Helper apps would be able to fix this?

To me, it sounds like a Chrome problem, which probably isn’t going to go away.

As far as TiddlyWiki is concerned, there’s no particular reason to use Chrome on Android. Chrome removed the ability to use extensions. Which means no add-blockers. Chrome won’t let you overwrite existing files, which makes the download saver inconvenient.

So the solution is to find a browser that does work with TiddlyWiki – or at least a little better.

Being forced to see adverts is a good reason to not use chrome on android, especially if you have a limited amount of mobile data.

Mark, Be ware that a lot is changing in the chrome universe about locking out advertising and third party cookies in particular used to track users and deliver adds so this may be somewhat transitory.

I do use FireFox and there is not problem there.

Yes, I agree, thank you for the in-depth explanation. Rest assured that I abhor Chrome as well (on top of the issues you raised, the UI is :face_vomiting: ). I was brainstorming a tiddlywiki project and I wanted to take Chrome into account because it’s the most popular Android mobile browser here. In that case, I’ll recommend other browsers in my future project instead.

I have reproduced this and in fact initiated a google support session on this, it is now a technical support issue. I use firefox mostly but chrome is a key browser and this is in my view something that should be resolved.

I found that the same chrome browser version is ok on android 7 but not on android 11.