$eventcatcher value *property*

Probably one for @saqimtiaz

<input type="text" value="saq" ...>

Typing “codacoder” into the above control, then reading dom-value in the $change handler returns "saq".

That’s understandable and perfectly correct.

But, ideally, I want the value of the value property (not the attribute).

Could we add dom-prop-* for situations like this? Or, conflate/coerce dom-value to the property value? (I can’t think of another attr/prop pairing where this is needed so I can’t see a reason to deny the obvious benefit of a kludgy approach here. jQuery.val( ) springs to mind.)

Background
I want to offer input filtering (list with hundreds of options - a <select> is terrible).
 I therefore want to use a datalist.
  I therefore need an HTML Input element.
   I therefore need to do the tiddler-field binding myself.

But without being able to catch the value property, I’m sunk.

I could write a JavaScript getCurrentValue(), but it would be nice to fill this “gap” with a wikitext solution.

Please do create an issue on GitHub. A separate variable would be preferable to conflating it with dom-value.

What would be helpful is to compile a list of all the use cases where the $eventcatcher currently falls short. For example, keyboard events are another area where $eventcatcher currently does not pass on enough information. The code for $eventcatcher has already become fairly complex when it comes to assigning variables so a holistic overhaul might be appropriate while extending it to meet shortcomings.

I have an experimental version of $eventcatcher that amongst other things attempts to serialize all the event object properties as a blob of JSON made available to the actions executed. This helps in that in obliviates the need to assign every property of the event object as a variable.

Dreamy.    

Please tag me when that shows up. Thanks.