Error in 5.3.1 prerelease with android

I am in the bush and dont know when I can raise a github issue but I note I have problems in the prerelease I dont have at tiddlywiki.com. Android 12 firefox. I can long press on the title in edit mode to select or paste but it will not work on the body or text editor. Firefox 116.2.0.

I raise it incase 5.3.1 was about to be released as it is a serious flaw for me.

Chrome and edge on android does not have this symptom.

I did not notice it on desktop firefox.

On android Open a tiddler for edit and try and select all or paste any thing in the standard text editor.

I think that’s a FireFox problem an not TW. Did you try the same thing with any page other than TW?

But it’s happening on the same browser. You can have one tab with tiddlywiki.com, and the other tab with tiddlywiki.com/prerelease. The behaviour in these two tabs is completely different. So it’s not a FF thing – it’s a change in the prerelease.

I note that the prerelease has a feature that the current doesn’t, which might relate. If you tap twice inside the text box, you select the tapped word. If you tap thrice inside the text box, you select the current paragraph. However, the selection doesn’t invoke the Android “handlebars” that would allow you to expand or shrink the selection to just what you need.

1 Like

I submitted a bug report (#7675).

1 Like

I can confirm, but isn’t this simply because the Prerelease uses CodeMirror, and the main site not?

The fact that CM doesn’t play well with mobile text input is known I think. Selecting text in websites other than TW is not optimal in Firefox/Android as well IMO.

However, I have disabled CodeMirror, saved, and uploaded here: https://531-pre-ff.tiddlyhost.com/
I can’t see any real difference on Firefox/Android between this and 5.3.0.

1 Like

Oh. I wouldn’t have expected a significant difference in the plugins between tiddlywiki.com and tiddlywiki.com/prerelease, since we’re being asked to look for errors.

I’ve closed the bug report, assuming Tony is using the CM plugin.

It was a bit confusing to me as well when I discovered it. I presume it is intentional to allow for easy testing of core plugins without having to install them all, save, and open the saved copy.

Note, a workaround is to install “The Hacker’s Keyboard.” In horizontal mode, you can use arrow keys to navigate and select text. You can even use control sequences like Ctl-C and Ctl-V. Even Alt-p (preview mode) will work. So if you can’t have a hardware keyboard with you, this might fill the gap a bit.

2 Likes

Useful info, thanks. The text editing mode of Gboard also works to some extent for selecting text, but if you hide the keyboard, you have to click another field to show it again.

I’ve got Openboard, which is derived from Gboard. Is there something you do to activate that selection mode?

I can’t find this option in Openboard. In Gboard, you can configure it to have the shortcut in the top row:

If not there, go to the “menu” with more options, it will be somewhere among them:

Thanks all. Yes tricked by code mirror in use on the prerelease so they issue is code mirror. Still deserving of a fix though. I will revisit.