Email Preferences - Configuration Ignored

I get 4 to 10 emails in my box every day, even though I have it set to only send me mail when I am referenced. As far as I can tell, most of these don’t mention me anywhere in the thread. I feel that there is some invisible criteria Discourse is using to decide what gets sent. Like a “Send new posts” that isn’t under the preferences.

For instance I just got a mail for “[Talk] Manipulate date/time created” .

Any thoughts on why I’m getting this and similar posts? Is there some other setting somewhere else in the profiles?

Thanks! :bouquet:

The Notifications section of your preferences attempts to auto-subscribe you to topics you spend time reading.

That’s the “Automatically track topics I enter” → After 4 minutes. So if you browse somewhere and keep it in a tab it will “track” it for you.

You can set this to 10 minutes … or turn it off, to “never”.

Then you’re in full manual mode, and can choose tracking on a per thread basis.

The “bell” icon has your current settings for each thread.

I’m now “Tracking” this thread, because I’ve replied. I’ll get mentions and replies to this particular comment, and in the web interface, I’ll see a count of all new replies.

“Normal” means that I don’t see a count in the interface, I will see mentions and direct replies.

“Muted” hides it from the interface and I won’t get ANY notifications, including no mentions. I can still navigate to it in the interface.

Wrapping back around, the highest level up of notifications is “Watching”, where I will see every single post in this thread, even if they don’t reply to my comment.

1 Like

This is what I mean by “Hidden”. I would expect everything about mailing to be under the mailing tab.

Actually, there’s nothing there to indicate “mail”. Being notified is different than getting mail. I want to turn off mail, but not necessarily notifications. The reason being that I have to go and constantly do maintenance on the mailbox.

Yep.

Many people use Discourse without email notifications at all. So Discourse has to balance email-related tools with the web-based interface.

So “Notifications” show up as pop-ups under the user account in web only mode.