Edit text fields - single-file or multi-file? - peanut butter or almond butter?

Hi,

I’m new to TW. So far, I have one Timini set up at work and nothing yet set up at home. I’m a little lost on the overwhelming amount of information here and on the main TW site. I’m attempting to get up to speed.

First, before I forget, is there a “first steps” kind of tutorial? Something that might mention the kinds of installations/setups one can use and their pros and cons?

Now, about the items in my subject line:

1. I managed to clone a palette, but it kept the same name in the palette list. I later discovered the text fields, but couldn’t figure out how to edit them so I can truly rename the palette. Help?

2. Since I am using Timini, I’ve obviously got a single-file TW going. But, I think there are multi-file setups. If there are, what are the advantages and disadvantages of the two different systems? Is there a way to do a single-file setup without Timini? Do I just put the empty.html file on a web server and everything will work because I’ll no longer need a local “backend” program to handle that fun communication stuff?

3. Many evenings, I like to snack on peanut butter and frozen chocolate chips (not sweetened with sugar). Altogether, it’s about a quarter of a cup (aka almost 6 centileters). I’ve thought about swapping the peanut butter for almond butter and wondered what all of you thought.

Thanks for your help and your conversation.

First things first — Welcome!

The biggest “selling point” of TiddlyWiki is it’s “self contained”. You can send it per e-mail and on the other side everything will just work … using a browser.

So you can start with a “single file” wiki and switch to “multi tiddler” version later. It’s easy to switch in both directions. From the browser point of view, there is no big difference between the 2 versions. It’s just some plugins that are different.

If you clone a palette, a new tiddler will be created. It contains a lot of text … You need to scroll down to the bottom of the tiddler and change the “name” and the “description” fields there. … That’s how you “rename” it.

As I wrote the “single file” wiki is self-contained. It’s the best starting point for new users.

The “multi-tiddler” version is much more complex. It needs a server as a backend, which also makes managing more complex. … It was initially developed for the “core devs”, to build tiddlywiki.

Timimi, is just a saving-helper. The wiki will work with every browser, where the “save setting” is set to “always ask” when a file is saved.

eg: If you load a file named “test.html” from a directory and you save it, it will automatically be saved to the “Downloads” directory, because browsers are configured that way. … If you save the same file again, it will be saved as “test (1).html”, and so on. …

If you set your browser “save setting” to “always ask” you are asked how and where to save your wiki, everytime you save it. Since TW tries to save the file when a tiddler is changed, this dialogue pops up very often, which can be annoying over time.

Timimi and other AddOns can solve this “annoyance problem”. … But in the end TW works well without it. You only need to take care, that you handle the “save as” dialogue as a user.

If you want to have a “read only” wiki that’s right.

If you want to save back to the server you still need the “right” backend. … So it depends, on what you want to do.

hope that helps
-mario

1 Like

I do like your avatar btw :wink:

1 Like

Welcome DesertDwarf. Yeah, you’re in for a treat.

Timimi, never used it but hear good things. I have almost all my wikis in tiddlyhost.com because it (and its predecessor tiddlyspot.com) have just been an excellent free service for well over a decade.

One “first steps” tutorial people like is Francis Metzee’s youtube videos. I most definitely butchered the spelling of his name but it should be enough of a clue. As far as I recall, it does not compare installation setups though, and I don’t really know of a good comparison for those (… I did at one time try to make setup, which I still think is a great idea… in theory… but it turned out too difficult for me to do. One day when we have a working multi-collaboration solution it might work.)

Regarding “cloning a palette” (What for? That’s an odd start, but OK). To rename a tiddler, you just do it but what you probably see is the caption which is a field with a prettier “nick name” instead of an ugly $:/systemName. So change the caption field.
EDIT: Are you actually trying to rename the palette tiddler itself (which is what my reply refers to) or are you talking about the many textfields seen inside the Controlpanel?

Multi file: Yes, it is the TW on Node.js version but as @pmario says you might want to start out with single file first.

Almond butter is good. Better than peanut butter. I also like the shape of almonds better - i.e before (!!!) they are crushed! We should start a separate thread for this. Maybe even a full forum.

1 Like

You may have a look at: https://tiddlywiki.com/#"Grok%20TiddlyWiki"%20by%20Soren%20Bjornstad

1 Like

Thank you, gentlemen, for the welcome!

Well, darn. That was easy. I obviously never scrolled down far enough. Now I just need to find the “little” CSS things to add a tiny amount of color.

Regarding single-file vs multi-file and saving, thank you for the explanation. I understand better now and feel much more comfortable with stuff.

Somewhere in Seaport Village, San Diego, there was a gentleman doing caricatures when my then-wife and my dad and I were visiting. I’d always wanted one, so I had him do one. At home, I took a picture with a camera and have used that as my profile picture (pfp) for my DesertDwarf persona ever since. But, it’s been about 10 years. I need to find a new artist and get a new one done.

I just realized, I’m not sure I still have the original sketch. I never framed it or hung it up.

Ironically, you nailed the spelling. I erred. It is spelled Meetze, not Metzee. I’ll watch the playlist.

Flippant answer: Because! Real answer, I like dark mode but wasn’t quite happy with the palettes I found. So, I wanted to tweak the one that was closest to what I wanted, but I didn’t want to mess with the original. :slight_smile:

Fortunately, pmario’s answer about finding those fields at the bottom when editing the tiddler helped me out. I now have a correctly-named “DesertDwarf Night” palette. Now that I think about it, I should change it to DesertDwarf Dark. The triple-D being a nice touch and I always thought night was a little romantic obfuscation (or obfuscated romanticism?) for a dark theme.

Well, since we can’t create a forum, we’ll have to settle for a thread. When I have the gumption, I’ll start one. Maybe. No promises.

Oh, thank you for this! I love written stuff because it’s so hard to search a video for keywords and such.