Easiest way to display TW as user-facing web site without buttons/tabs?

Thanks @Mohammad ! I have managed (I think) to reproduce the issue encountered by @dixonge, for now I solved it by adding a reset button to the UI :

To update simply drag and drop the title of the tiddler “$:/TiddlyTweaks/ReadOnly” inside a new wiki.
I wanted to update the ui when clicking on “hide all” but it seems like there is a timing issue with the macro, so I combined a save button with a refresh function.

I will open a thread for this solution, hopefully someone can help found a better way to solve this issue.

EDIT: Solution for hiding buttons/tabs ("read only") - contributions welcomed

1 Like

UPDATE for those reading along…

I believe that some of the problems I was experiencing were due to trying to test too many things at the same time. Fixing one thing broke another, etc. So here is my current setup which is working:

1. Local edits served via TiddlyDesktop using all buttons/tabs as normal
  2. Local save + separate save to GitHub using @telumire 's button
  3. Read-only mode using @telumire 's setup (not the latest one with the reset button)
  4. Live version online is truly read-only w/ limited buttons/tabs as expected.

This is a very workable/desireable setup for me. In the end I will be pushing about 10-12 different sites using mostly subdomains. Sites are general, travel, art and then mostly genealogy-related.

Sorry for clogging up the main feed with all these side-issues!

1 Like

telumire, Thanks so much for this work!

Sorry I’ve been slow to come back around and acknowledge this helpful approach, and all your conscientious follow-through.

Most of my use-cases involve wanting to see edit tools whenever I’m interacting with my site (using an alternate browser if I want to do a reality-check on what web viewers will see), and wanting edit tools to be at all times unavailable to other viewers (especially for sites not directed at tw community).

So, it’s helpful not to have to remember to toggle author/reader mode after any given edit, prior to saving. So your approach is fantastic in this respect.

This thread has also gotten me to review Mohammad’s utility-plugin author tools, which (like all of the kookma toolkit) is very thorough (though I too, got briefly disoriented by instructions — check box to “exclude” things from being hidden).

In an ideal world, we’d get both of your tools to mind-meld. :slight_smile:

Meanwhile, I can imagine a role for each of these solutions, depending on user workflow.

-Springer

I have noted this! to see how better and consistent UI Utility can have!
It seems everybody assumes to have something when he/she clicks (checks) a checkbox for something!
The current implementation asks you to select (check) a checkbox if you donot want something, to exclude something.

I will work on this in summer time.

1 Like

Happy for that …

off-topic fun
TT

I think this great work, If the solution is stabilised, perhaps incorporating @telumire and @Mohammad features it would be useful to publish it. However a few more tweaks later would be useful; here are some as a suggestion.

• Provide two “bookmarklets” the author can drag to their bookmarks that can unlock and lock the read only mode, this could even include a secret string.
  • Allow the different presentations of the wiki to be selected as read only or not eg; IP/Domain/LocalHost (any 127.x.x.x)/File and possibly even if the Local storage plugin is active, or other savers host configs eg; github, tiddlyhost…
  • Consideration of IPv6 in addition to IPv4 (Different representations of local host etc…)
  • Allow one to force read-only mode if served at a named URL eg example.com but not read-only at any other address, or other combinations.

I think “how can I hide the edit buttons when publishing” is such a common question year after year that this should be a standard feature of TiddlyWiki.

And just out of interest, Feather Wiki has this.

To see how it works:

• Go to https://feather.wiki/ and notice it looks like a conventional web site. There are no confusing edit buttons.
  • Now visit https://feather.wiki/?page=s , which is the settings, scroll down and uncheck the “Publish” checkbox, then click the “Update” button to update the settings.
  • Now click “About” in the left nav menu, or any other page, and notice the wiki is now in full edit mode.
4 Likes

I agree one hundred percent and more :wink:
Why not have a standard feature for reader/author mode? Why we should go through those steps not easy for many end users?

Right.

Over years there have been several solutions. Some of them very sophisticated with hiding some stuff but not others.

BUT I think a CRUDE hider will suit many use cases easily.

When online hide …

1 - Right Sidebar

2 - Tiddler ViewBar Buttons.

I think part of the issue is that TW needs to help people who are “authors” first. And it is incredibly good at that.

But it probably led to under-estimations that end-users for purpose are not interested in how TW works, just want to visit a website.

NOT having things that are not needed helps a lot.

Just a comment
TT

1 Like

Yes, it should be but I think we could set some other mode handling features at the same time. I have build a working model for implementing read-only, author, designer and debug modes. In each case we want some global changes and in others we want macros to be inactive unless the associated mode is set, one way or the other.

Perhaps we should start a mode handling discussion to expand on this?

• Developing a shared solution/plugin, including the work in this thread.
  • I would love to participate in a collaboration

that feeling when …

You search for a solution, find a potential one, go to save it to your hard drive and …

you find that you already did this before! Specifically, on July 1, the day you posted this haha

1 Like