Drag and drop plugins on Node.js: how big of a mistake am I making?

Instructions for plugin installation that I’ve read so far usually have at least two sets of instructions: a drag-and-drop installation recommended for non-Node.js installations, and a process for copying material to the plugins folder along with other steps for Node.js installations.

Previously, while trying to install a plugin*, I became frustrated with my inability to get the Node.js installation process to work, and just dragged and dropped the plugin into my wiki against the recommended installation instructions; that is to say, using the drag-and-drop method for non-Node.js installations. The plugin worked just fine.

I just took the win and pressed on, because my patience was absolutely gone, but now I’m thinking about installing two more plugins†, and I’m concerned this is going to become a problem later. This leads to the questions: Can I drag and drop plugin installation in a wiki on Node.js (which is far easier)? Will this bite me in the behind later?

* TiddlyRemember

† BibTex and Refnotes

Platform information:
Browser: Chrome 94.0.4606.61 (Official Build) (64-bit)
TiddlyWiki: 5.2.0 on Node.js

I’m with you @ahollar , same story, gave up trying to do it the “right” way and just use drag and drop. I think the main advantage to doing it the right way is that if you run multiple wikis and want the plugins to apply across your wikis, that’s easy. For me, my wikis are different enough that I’m fine with “installing” via drag and drop separately for each one. I think I remember @saqimtiaz saying that he would suggest either drag and drop OR plugin libraries (especially for non-developers), which gave me enough courage to keep doing what I was (and you are) doing. I’ll be watching to see how the real experts answer here though.

1 Like

My take on this is:

• Use drag and drop or install via plugin library for all third party plugins.
  • For core TiddlyWiki plugins, consider installing by editing tiddlywiki.info, so that plugins are automatically upgraded when you upgrade the core.
    • It is OK if you don’t do this and install official core plugins by drag and drop, but then do remember to manually update plugins by drag and drop after upgrading the core.
1 Like

Thank you to @stobot and @saqimtiaz for the help! I’ve decided to just drag-and-drop since my workflow uses one wiki, and I’m pressed for time (I already know how to drag-and-drop, but the installation process is onerous and I can’t seem to get it to work.)