Doodling is critically lacking in TW!

Here is one hypothetical solution outline:

If this issue was solved, i.e to have a transparent background on the drawing canvas, then it should be possible to place some “tag” in the text, e.g like this <doodle> (or a macrocall or widgetcall or whatever) and it could be directly “interpreted” to trigger a little drawing canvas in front of the text even in edit mode.

He did. I just can’t find it.

TT

Without getting too depressing, I’d guess most of what we doing now, thinking it will live forever electronically, will just disappear.

1 Like

I think that a very smart observation by her. That is part of the issue that paper doesn’t have. Integration. Propagation. Electro-Mode inter-communication is very complex with multiple fail points.

I’m still reasonably better with “do it papery first” …

Was that done on paper?

You could use paper, and then take a snapshot with one of those scanner apps. External link to a tiddler, and add keywords to find. The problem being that it’s still messy and fidgety to get those external links into TW.

About the green and pink in your picture – where did you get a sample of my handwriting?

OneNote or a pdf reader with annotation tools (PDF-XChange Editor , Foxit PDF Reader, Acrobat Reader, etc) could do the job. Being able to do that within tiddlywiki would be great !

Fun thread of discussion to read.

Hand-drawn annotations on text that won’t change, that’s pretty straightforward. It is an image on top of the text/content.

Hand-drawn annotations on text/content that does/can change/move, I’m thinking that is a bit of work setting up. I’m sure it can be done (“anchors”), but a messy thing to handle when anchors get lost/etc.

Just random thoughts about it .

There is a widget for edit canvas called $edit-bitmap, but it doesn’t work in the view mode, when you click inside it then is changed the type of the tiddler to image/png, and then the text content will be deleted.

Edit: I don’t know why it is marked as response to telumire :S

Cool idea. I hadn’t seen that issue on GH before.

From a CSS perspective, it would need two modes, toggling pointer-events, which would “click-thru” when you need to access the underlying text (to click links for example) and prevent the mouse reaching the text when you want to draw.

In addition to indicating that the element is not the target of pointer events, the value none instructs the pointer event to go “through” the element and target whatever is “underneath” that element instead.
pointer-events - CSS: Cascading Style Sheets | MDN

@twMat did a neat demo of that. But like lots of his stuff it i hard to find.

Yeah.

Dead right. It is procedural issue.

As I said, I don’t think this a TW issue; it is a generic interfacing problem.

LOL!

TT

Your specific mention of pointer-events indicate that you already know this is possible (i.e it is).

However, doodles on top of the text is probably the most advanced case. We can’t even conveniently create a doodle between two paragraphs. The UI is just too impractical. If we could do that then TW could at least claim that “why, of course, you can doodle as you take notes”.

In theory, yes. Have I ever tested a <canvas> element with/without pointer-events:none? No.

If someone had a mind to try it, I imagine a plugin would be possible. I was imagining @Mark_S annotate thingy (or an extension of it) being able to “scribble” over the text (tiddler body) element.

All this needs (without meaning to trivialise the work involved) is a transparent canvas plonked on top of the text. There’s likely hundreds (thousands?) of “ready to go” components out there.

As for between, paragraphs, not sure I see the point – or the efficacy of the workflow/UI at that point.

Glad you’ve brought this up. This is an opportunity for the community to really turn what we have now in TW5 into something that could wow people into using it more. :muscle:t4:

I know someone that does that with a customised Streams configuration, where one node is the drawing and the subsequent is text pertaining to it, so the inverse of what you are mentioning. However, their use case is very specific and I am rather unsure how much widespread utility there would be in it for most users.

We couldn’t have a drawable image area between two paragraphs?

That seems to be the low-hanging fruit, if there is any.

1 Like

Yeah, the smooth addition of new transclusions in Streams seems like a great way to integrate tiddler content of different types. Sounds like it would have a lot of potential when it comes to including images! I’m curious, how does your friend “specify” what type he wants, i.e that the bitmap canvas should show and not the regular editor?

BTW, I don’t see that Google Keep has a way of doodling OVER text. You can add images, but only to the top (header). You can doodle on those images. But you can’t doodle over the text.

This was an end user that reached out to me for help in customizing exactly that, the editor to use for a given node. In the end I think the solution was having a keyboard shortcut (and context menu entry) that changed the type field, which controlled the editor used.

I don’t know what you envision when you say this, i.e are you talking about view mode or edit mode, or even something else? It is critical that the doodling is integrated in the note taking flow i.e not more cumbersome than the adding of the textual note parts.

(I did fool around with compound tiddlers many years ago, that allowed for interspersing any kind of content. Here’s a concept which was never published so don’t mind the other tiddlers and parts in that wiki. Come to think of it, it actually has some similarities to Streams in that the tiddlers produce and transclude “subtiddlers”. )