Docker image maintainer - missing?

Hi TW community!

I can see that a most popular and up-to-date docker image by elasticdog is outdated.

I can see some forks of his repository, but no published docker images.

Does it mean there is a void / vacancy for person to build these docker images?
Or does the community just uses a different (say, base nodejs) image?

I’m asking as I might help! :wave:

Marcin

1 Like

Hi @marcinkoziej
Welcome to the community.

I think it would be nice to have a flexible docker image that can be built automatically. IMO the TW app should be in a “throw away” container, but the data should be persistent.

Just some thoughts.
Mario

1 Like

This is the dockerfile I wrote before, which is slightly different from other tiddlywiki images. Anyone can try to build the latest image locally.

This docker image supports this. It mounts the file directory locally through file directory mapping, rather than inside docker.

1 Like

That’s a nice start, but I was thinking about a more conservative approach.

• Starting from an LTS Node.js version eg: lts-alpine3.18
  • only using, what’s installed by the Node.js maintainers
    • node, npm, yarn
    • corepack is marked as “experimental” and is intended to be used to manage “package manager”. A TW docker image does not need more than 1 package manager
    • imo pnpm … imo not needed, since npm is already part of the image.
  • for “production” - after installation is done - IMO npm and yarn should be removed
  • a “development” version can keep npm and yarn.
  • Mapping to the local harddrive is OK for development
  • IMO for “production” the persistent storage should be mapped to a docker volume for speed reasons.
  • The whole thing should work with linux, Mac and Windows (Docker for Windows)

just some thoughts.
-m

1 Like

I don’t use Docker myself, but it is very popular, and I think it would be highly desirable to get one (or more) standard, core Docker images into the main repo.

1 Like

It would be nice to provide sufficient information / recommendations so such docker images can be hosted locally, internet facing and on services available to host online.

1 Like