[Doc] "Features" tiddler, total revamp

Editable tiddler. The content below the line is intended to become a PR. Please help author it!

Problem
Hypothetical pleb: “Ho hum … I heard TiddleWiddle is supposed to be good but when I visit https://tiddlywiki.com , I can’t really see any listing of its features. What does it DO?”

There is a tiddler titled Features, found under sidebar > Contents > Features… but this list is clearly not curated, starting with “AlertMechanism, Audio, AutoSave, …”.

Solution
I propose that current haphazard “Features” tiddler is renamed into something else (Any suggestions?) and that the title “Features” instead is given to a tiddler that deserves such an important title. “Features” is probably the most obvious term that a visitor uses when wondering what TW actually can do. It should be a default tiddler at tw.com IMO!

…and it should contain something like the following list (please come with input).
Note: for the list, do propose better categorizations and formulations but the purpose is not that the list should be formally correct but instead that the visitor should get a good sense of what “functionality” TW has. Obviously, most items would be links for more details.
Thus:

title: Features
tags:
text:
TiddlyWiki serves a wide set of features so solve specific needs and to create special solutions:

• Plain text and [[markup text|WikiText]] editing
  • Wiki coding, including [[macros|Macros]]
  • [[Tagging]], [[hyperlinking|TiddlerLinks]] and [[transclusions|Transclusion]]
  • Automatic [[list aggregation|Introduction to Lists]], e.g checklists
  • [[Image|Images in WikiText]] handling and (rudimentary) image editing
  • Video and [[audio|Audio]] embed
  • [[Mathematical|Mathematics Operators]] functions
  • [[Journaling|Creating journal tiddlers]], alerts and date handling
  • [[Encryption|Encryption]]
  • Multi-language
  • Theme and styling options
  • Integration with Node.js, … (?)
  • “total modifyability” - this main feature of TiddlyWiki lets you fundamentally reshape TiddlyWiki itself to your needs
  • much more - many more features via a very large selection of plugins
4 Likes

Great questions with lots of great points! I think about it a bit more. But I can hazard a guess already at a solution: better Showcase Showings.

What is my point? Merely that end-user visitors are likely looking for solutions to fit their interests. And that showcasing extant solutions to their issues is likely most apposite?

Just an initial comment. Needs more thought.
TT

I am currently authoring exactly such a post, and I have a pretty cool idea for a solution, but that is another topic. Please let’s stick to the OP for this thread.

Thanx

Okay. I’ll stay quiet now. But TBH, I don’t think, in this case, my point and your OP are actually different worlds apart. IMO the overlap is central?

Just a last comment
TT

Oh, I agree it is related. I’m just hoping that this can evolve into an actual doc tiddler to be provided to tw.com and I figure that the discussion has to be focused for that reason, with concrete formulation ideas instead of a general discussion. (Maybe this is the wrong forum for that intention? I definitely don’t want to kill discussion.)

1 Like

Mat

Great inititive. I will contribute. Of first readin of your list i agree these are features but we need focus even more on what you can get from it and even less jargon, remember people who are new to tiddlywiki types of concepts can’t read between the lines, those with experience can read between the lines, will be intrigued and read further. But i expect you already understand what i am saying

Agreed. Maybe even some “target group” differentiation, i.e splitting up the features into more non-coders vs coders or “very general usage” (think MS Office) vs more tech.

1 Like

Good catch. Current Features is probably “Function List” or “Functionality”.

Features are typically more marketing and user centric, highlighting the top features and unique ones.

As others have mentioned “Solutions” or “Examples” or “Editions” might be the more wholistic area — eg “building a second brain with TiddlyWiki”, “using TW for custom applications”, etc

@twMat — do you want me to “wikify” the top post? I can also up your level so you can do it yourself.

Thanks. Someone kindly gave me “wiki rights” some time ago. I’ve now made the OP editable.

I agree boris. Like any such material it needs to be brainstormed and reviewed multiple times always in light of nieve enquirers.

I am composing some content offline and will share soon. The fact is what tiddlywiki can not be used for is a very shortlist. But readers initialy only read shortlists so the attention grabing features need to read so that it is possible to read between the lines such they feel tiddlywiki may be the answer to what they are after.

Other research has showen once interested, people are happy to read long comprehencive lists that inspire them and trigger their imagination. But these can scare potential users if presented up front.