Describes me almost perfectly

While researching how to best set up my TiddlyWiki I found this little gem. It’s funny how accurately this tiddler describes my current situation in the diagrams headed “Perceived benefits”. I was mildly shocked to see it, but like many aspects of one’s life, seeing it I realized how people are more alike than unique.

I should start chanting a new mantra over the next few weeks while I build up my wiki. Repeat, repeat, repeat: “Don’t overcomplicate. Start your wiki small and for goodness sake, START it.”

The Learning Cliff

4 Likes

TheLearningCliff Brilliant article
Love the cartoon
Very helpful at any time
UI workflow with ADHD self hoisting clarity is an art in itself

I keep struggling to craft a really constructive illustrated essay proposal to improve TW UIX and MAP publishing vs authoring vs reader vs developer vs researcher facets of TW
I get swept out to sea…
I give up
Get swept back up on beach
This summer yet again

Wishlist
TW needs cool serious conference presentations
Rich Hickey (clojure)
Rich Harris (svelte)
calibre

What’s the architecture ?
Show us the component design layers
Tell us
Démo
— but not just for TWikians

For other people

It a BiG ask…

But look at how well Blender flies now
Look at how yeOldeEmacs had a Renaissance
Or how LaTeX has grown

/// nothing concrete in this post
/// But I’m serious
I think now = 2024 is the year to really address the wider use audience and presentational merits of TW

It lacks a place in schools or fablabs or makerspaces
Why ???.
What will it take?

:shopping::link:

// in response to this comment:
“copilot while learning a language feels great, but man does it impede remembering the details”

Rich Harris wrote:
“get used to every learning experience feeling like this. wisps of knowledge with nothing to stick to; a waking dream of things you maybe wrote; pleading with black boxes to do the thing the same as before, like the time it somehow worked for a minute”

source: https://twitter.com/Rich_Harris/status/1690535688582651904?s=20

2 Likes

This mention of black boxes is insightful and resonates with me. As any IT professional and some coding expirence I am used to boxes within boxes, subroutines and abstractions.

Tiddlywiki is really good at this and arguably a skill any one can use to simplify, reuse and handle complex needs. But non programmers do not come with this understanding very often and whilst I would argue any mature adult should develop these skills, many have not.

The question is I suppose, when do we go beyond tiddlywiki to give potential users the skills so they can use tiddlywiki?, when tiddlywiki is possibly the best in class already.

• should tiddlywiki try and address the deficits in peoples skills, that makes it hard for them benifit from tiddlywiki?
  • perhaps tiddlywiki is something any one could use, but many will not, because they have not paid the cost of entry. The ability to understand systems.