Curating Editions on TiddlyWiki.com

I’d like to present TiddlyWiki xp on tiddlywiki.com so that it is easier for people to find.

We’ve already got an “Editions” tiddler but it currently only includes the core editions that live in the main TW5 repository.

It would be incredibly helpful if somebody could volunteer to collate the useful third party editions that are out there, and prepare a documentation PR to add them to tiddlywiki.com.

2 Likes

Hi Jeremy
I would suggest also adding Zettel Kasten editions. I would be happy to help.

To all
Please nominate your favorite editions here!

1 Like

Please add Tiddlywiki XP TiddlyWiki xp — A chance to experience TiddlyWiki very quickly

1 Like

We should have an editons wiki/thread here where possible editions can be discussed, recommended, and vetted. That will make the job of maintaining a list of editions on tiddlywiki . com easier.

2 Likes

I think I’d favour an Editions category, with tags to name the edition.

1 Like

Tiddlyhost Templates has some potential candidates.

3 Likes

Be Rad Edition - alternative layout with custom UI elements - Showcase - Talk TW (tiddlywiki.org)

2 Likes

One problem with this idea is that the user-maintained editions are often out of date, i.e. they are not refreshed and tested with each new TiddlyWiki release. So people trying them out often have to either use the older TiddlyWiki version, or try a manual upgrade and see if anything was broken.

I suspect this situation would be improved if there was an easy way for edition maintainers to automate upgrading and rebuild an edition from source and perhaps testing it as well. Does anyone have any good solutions for that kind of thing?

FWIW, I have some upgrade/rebuild automation that I’m using for my MPTW5 templates, see them here. It’s perhaps not very adaptable currently, but if you read the Makefile you should get an idea how it works.

3 Likes

I like this idea, but editions can be produced without using a github source, so if it was not built on GitHub it’s a lot of effort to automate it.

• I have a button that makes upgrading stand alone wikis very quick and easy.

On reflection I think the biggest impediment to editions being maintained includes;

• Feedback that the edition is in use by others
  • That people like and want the edition maintained
  • That more than one party can upgrade an reissue the edition

In summary the less tangible “social factors” determine if an edition lives or dies from neglect.

I am looking at the maintenance instructions for tiddlyhost wikis for example I need to update https://prerelease-play.tiddlyhost.com/

• One for me to maintain the published version
  • Two for others to obtain and upgrade for themself.
  • And finally the best way for someone to ask me to upgrade an edition

Is this different from the existing Community Editions ?

Ah, you are right! We have already one! So, let’s see what @jeremyruston suggests.

I think that is a showcase not an edition @Mohammad ?

1 Like

Maple was removed from proposed list!