Creating monthly events on TiddlyTools calendar?

I’ve been using the TiddlyTools calendar and I think it’s fantastic. One issue I’ve run into though is that I can create annual events or events on specific days of the week but I haven’t found a way to create a monthly event (eg. an event on the 15th of each month). At the moment I’ve just entered 12 seperate events but I’m wondering if there’s an easier way to do this? Many thanks.

Although it would be theoretically possible to add more code to the Calendar to handle monthly events (i.e., event items with “wildcard” months specified using YYYY..DD or ......DD prefix), it would add extra overhead processing to the Calendar, which is already doing a lot, especially when rendering the yearly view.

In light of this, your solution (12 separate events) is a reasonable way to specify a Calendar event that occurs on the same date each month. One thing to note: when processing an “event list” tiddler, the Calendar code automatically wikifies the tiddler contents before extracting the individual event items. This allows you to programmatically generate all 12 monthly events by including a $list widget in the event list tiddler content, like the following:

<$list filter="[range[1,12]pad[2]]" variable="mm">
....<<mm>>15;Middle of the month
</$list>

There is also an alternative approach that you might want to consider. In addition to showing events, the Calendar can also display alarms created using TiddlyTools/Time/Alarms, which allows you to define an alarm with a “Monthly” interval and a specified date of the month (with or without a time-of-day – hh, mm and ss values).

1 Like