Create a link to a tiddler in a windows folder

In Windows you can create a weblink by just draggin and dropping a URL from your browser into windows file explorer. If I do this with the URL “Basic Instinct - Wikipedia” and drop it on my Desktop e. g. this works fine. A click on the generated icon leads me to the section above in my standard browser. Nice.

If I do the same with my local tiddlywiki e. g. with the URL “file:///D:/mywiki.html#BasicInstinct”, it is not working. It generates an icon but when clicking on it, I will be directed to the start page of tiddlywiky, so the URL “file:///D:/mywiki.html” will open in the browser. The part beginning with the hash is omitted. When I check the properties of the icon created, I see that the URL it is linking to is indeed correct, the whole part has been saved. It is just not sent to the browser.

It is of course more of a windows topic as weblinks with the file protocol obviously are handled differently from http ones. Does anyone know a way around this?

PS: Links to tiddlers in word documents or excel or whatever are working fine. It is really only with the web-links created directly in the file system.

@Perminides I think you need to create a shortcut to your browser and add the uri to your HTML file as a parameter.

Example. I found where ms edge exe was installed. I right clicked on the exe and selected “create shortcut”. This put the short cut file on the desktop.

This shortcut opens Edge.

Then I edited the short cut by adding a parameter to the Target field. To do this be sure to reference your file like this:

file:://D:\myfile.html#mytiddler

Failing to use the file prefix will cause the hash character to not work.

Also be sure to put double quotes around your uri.

Hope this helps.

Craig

Thanks a lot clsturgeon. I came up with the same solution although I am not really happy with it. I mean it definitely works for now. But when the path to the browser exe changes, all my links will be broken. Will they survive the switch to Windows 11? We will see.