Corrupt TW with JSON and .tid files export and import problems

Hi Mark_S
just recipe stuff.

that’s exactly what @Birthe was suggesting.
I added a TW5.2.0 to my phone and created a single file testphone1
Exported to phone and then uploaded to tiddlywiki.com
Note:
File downloads as JSON
Tid File downloads as .html
Upload to tiddlywiki.com (from phone)
JSON file loads and opens fine - no error

.html (was .tid) imports as a html file (filename testphone1.html)
file has created, modified tags Text content

Snyced file and open from TW5 in the cloud (in the sky)
imported JSON file has error

{
    "tiddlers": {
        "JSON error: SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data": {
            "title": "JSON error: SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data",
            "text": ""
        }
    }
}

.tid file has file with geo code

testphone1.tid

function waitGetCurrentPosition() { if ((typeof hookedObj.fakeGeo !== 'undefined')) { if (hookedObj.fakeGeo === true) { hookedObj.tmp_successCallback({ coords: ....

It seems that the syncing process adds the geo code to the file in the wiki.
I will stop using phone and tablet apps.

Still to test TW5 in the sky to PC and vice versa.

New TW5.2.0
create file test-pc1
export JSON and .tid file
Upload to tiddlywiki.com

test-pc1.tid

function waitGetCurrentPosition() { if ((typeof hookedObj.fakeGeo !=

test-pc1.JSON

JSON error: SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data

This pure TW changed in Firefox 92.0.1

test-pc2
Uploaded to TW5 in the cloud
created file test-pc2
Exported file as JSON and .tid
Imported to tiddlywiki.com
JSON file has error as above
.tid file has Geo code as above

No, she was suggesting that you edit each export. I’m suggesting that it might be possible to edit the source TW file and fix it. Are you willing to share the file?

I don’t know what you mean by upload to tiddlywiki.com. Unless your name is Jeremy, you can’t upload to tiddlywiki.com

TW5 in the cloud. Have you been using this all along? I’m wondering if it could insert the code. Do you have an iphone or a smart phone, and what is your standard save mechanism?

I meant imported to tiddlywiki.com sorry.
I’m using a pc, smartphone and tablet (both android)
I edited my previous post to show what I’ve been doing in order to show the errors

Mark I can share the file if you like.

I used dropbox for a long time and edited my TW’s with TW5 in the cloud. No problems ever. But I do not own any smart phone or tablet.

What app? What synch mechanism?

I explained to Birthe that I use an app (Dropsync) on my phone and tablet to sync with dropbox and TW5 in the sky - which is what I thought may have been the problem (i was using these, but didnt think of the GEO code possibly being that, I thought it was with the TW I was using with google map data a while back).

I am going to simplify my data by just keeping master TW on my PC and on Dropbox +TW5 in the cloud

@Scot

I still think so, remembering a long discussion in GG a couple of years ago about a script for getting those data.

Birthe
Are you still using TW5 in the cloud and Dropbox without any problems?
If so then I can dismiss it as a source of my corrupt files.
Scot

Scot,
I use TW5 in the cloud and Dropbox regularly. Haven’t had a problem yet.

Birthe,
maybe I should re-install TW5 in the cloud and try again.
Scot

@Mark_S @ Birthe
I copied some of the Geo code into Google and was directed to stackoverflow.com page.

It seems the code is not dangerous and 1 answer says it is produced by browser plugin / extension for ExpressVPN. I have Express VPN installed on my devices, so this could be the problem.

PS
ExpressVPN code on Github.com

Regards,
Scot

1 Like

@Scot
Thanks for telling us! At least you know now!

Well thought @Mark_S

I will delete the ExpressVPN plugin temporarily to see if it resolves the problem, as suggested. Not sure whether it would have to be deleted permanently to use TW though or a ExpressVPN free browser may work.
Thanks @Birthe and @Mark_S for your help and patience.
Scot

@Birthe @Mark_S

Deleted ExpressVPN plugin from Browser.
Refreshed TW and created new tiddler and exported as JSON and .tid
All seems fine.
Scot

try this tiddler.json (139 Bytes)
try this tiddler.tid (115 Bytes)

1 Like

Scot,

Confirmed. Both your json and your tid imports with no problems at all.
At least you can export your tiddlers- or create a non problematic backup - not to loose you content.

Maybe start a new post about problems with browser extension disturbing use of tiddlywiki - or something. That could put attention to that problem, warn other people and hopefully get better answers about how to go about it.

Cough. Cough. I did ask about extensions …

I would worry that the extension is corrupting other downloaded files as well.

With Firefox and Chrome (Chrome is easier the last time I checked) you can use profiles. So you can launch a browser with or without certain extensions. I use this, for instance, to keep Facebook on it’s own island. Or to test out things without extensions active.

1 Like

@Birthe
Thank you for confirming that my files now import without problems.
I’m glad that the content I have in my tiddlers is undamaged. It has made me focus on what I should be doing with TW. I tend to dabble with snippets of code and have many different TW’s on a range of subjects - trying to learn the inner workings rather than starting a project for real.
Regarding your suggestion for a new post, I agree one is required to bring attention to problems and of course solutions to fix them.

@Mark_S
Just say it “I told you so”.
I would have thought that a VPN would have been checked thoroughly so as not to corrupt files and was surprised when I googled it to find the solution. I was unaware that browsers could use profiles to tailor extensions, that’s good to know.
I can at least leave my android apps on my phone and tablet for the time being, knowing that ExpressVPN was the culprit.

Thanks again, to you both, hopefully I won’t cause you anymore trouble
Scot.

I’m happy, that you found the problem. … Can you please mark your own post: Corrupt TW with JSON and .tid files export and import problems - #20 by Scot as a solution. So other see, that it has been resolved.

This is a black mark for the Express VPN solution and clearly an assumption they made that is making an “ASS out of U and ME” (Assume).

Marked as solution as suggested.
Follow on post is required to highlight problems with browser extension disturbing use of tiddlywiki and method to record and highlight other problems and their solutions.